Five reasons why Trump's followers love his lies

I think with the cancer eating away at this country, we need strong chemotherapy agents that in an earlier time would be considered wrong. Poisons derived from mustard gas? Injected into a human body?

So maybe journalists stepping out of their role and playing extreme hardball is what we need.

10 Likes

There is no logical connection between your first statement and everything after that.
The accusation is against Acosta for assaulting an intern. Disagreeing with Acosta’s words does not enter into it since that was not the reason that was given for what happened.

20 Likes

Do you consider Hunter S. Thompson to be a journalist?

17 Likes

Jim Acosta said “This clearly isn’t an invasion” and proceeded to accuse the President of lying.

The rules of journalism you describe are predicated on good faith engagement of a source with the press, and are literally incoherent for journalism as a profession when applied to lying liars who lie to the press.

The word “gaslighting” needed to appear in the first, not last sentence of the article, though.

10 Likes

You are leaving out projection. Another Trump superpower. If he accuses people of X, there is an excellent chance he has committed X personally.

16 Likes

This is a good example of “not even wrong”
You are not actually making an argument, you are just trying to frame the discussion around what you purport to believe journalism should be.

In the scenario you are referencing and your objection to it it is clear that what you are calling “interpretation” has a negative connotation that you have not actually explained.
The way you are approaching this really lends credence to the article because you are asking a reporter to not be interested in the truth value of a statement from someone who is not actually interested in the truth yet you wrote that you disagree with it. Not even wrong.

17 Likes

Not clear. You’re not clear. Bullshit.

These are not days for the pretence of vagary. Trump is a total cunt, and this incident was a totally disgusting shitshow, choreographed in an elementary school manner, by a cohort of cunts.

He stood his ground. He showed the entire fucking planet what’s going on, and what it looks like.

Gather your words more carefully. This is no era to obfuscate. Diffusion and sleight of word is the hallmark of the willing feudal tenant of this foul and revolting administration, this puss-ridden boil in the history of freedom and democracy.

We need clarity, certainty, and purpose. State your side and have the fight.

What you are seeing is the roiling anger of millions of smart people, fighting off the suffocating influence of a malign intruder. It is magnifying, amplifying, and dangerous.

19 Likes

Amanda’s got you covered:

https://twitter.com/AmandaMarcotte/status/1060567538675974144

15 Likes

“Walter Conkrite’s job was to report the Administration’s dumb, objectively false statements about the Vietnam War, not to find out if those statements were true.”

Seriously, where did you go to journalism school?

28 Likes

The steno pool?

14 Likes

" Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed: everything else is public relations.” - George Orwell.

32 Likes

So if Trump croaks and Pence ascends to the presidency after the new Congress in sworn in, Pence gets to run in 2 more elections, correct? But if it were to happen today, or any day over 2 years before the next presidential inauguration, then Pence can only have the job until 2024.

The Trump patsy is almost used up. The only question is if he will make it to the 2 year date. Given that he can’t even start being impeached until the next Congress gets sworn in, we can pretty much assume he will be thrashing around breaking everything in sight for the next couple of months. Expect Mueller to be fired in some disastrous way that totally blows back on Trump and makes him utterly toxic to everyone but his true believers.

Also expect Trump not to live much beyond the 2 year anniversary of his inauguration. He will break the norms and inaugurate the fascist takeover, then ‘die’ and become a nice martyr for a more competent evil bastard who will make use of all the broken norms and corrupted legal system.

I despise Trump, but he is doing a great job of making it all about him. When he becomes a martyr the country will be over as a functioning democracy, but everyone (who can at least pass for white and Christian) will relax once Pence is in charge.

Pardon my cynicism, but it isn’t the first time a democracy has been toppled in this way.

3 Likes

Just like when he bragged about sexual assault!

4 Likes

So to be perfectly accurate about “some form of truth”, he did invent his own truth about building floors by intentionally mislabeling the floor numbers.

5 Likes

Or Edward R. Murrow for that matter? Apparently journalists aren’t supposed to speak truth to power.

15 Likes

This is a good & important question. I don’t know if it would work in your case, but I’d focus on asking them questions about their children, grandchildren, health and retirement (redirecting political topics to ask about the impact on the above). At some level, the most rational among them know that Trumpism is bad for all those things. If they don’t think so, at least you might plant a seed of doubt that future events might nurture and grow.

I used to believe in fact-based discourse but not with these folks. They’ve been brainwashed and need to be handled with care. Research has shown that facts only make them cling harder to their false beliefs.

5 Likes

been there…done that.

Older sister is a breast cancer survivor who works for a small business. I specifically said to her “You are an individual who health insurance companies would say has a pre existing condition. The Dems want to ensure any insurance coverage would include individuals with PEC. The GOP wants that to not be a factor” This is a fact. PERIOD. no dispute right?

“I would never vote for a DEM they want to make my insurance more expensive. They want me to be uninsurable!!!”

There is not reason with them. I consistently get folks on BBS who say things like “but thats not how all GOP/Trump voters think/act/behave”…yeah…no. They do. every one of them

I was told via FB that “You are the liar and the asshole. YOU are the problem.” because I was pointing out all the FACTS about Nostradumbass and his policies and the GOP’s agenda. I AM THE LIAR AND THE TROUBLEMAKER.

These people are brain washed (to your point). They all are.

My only glimmer of hope…my family name runs through me. My father and y family had one male in it…me. So the family name runs through me. And I have two sons. So what I pass along is hopefully the legacy of our family.

12 Likes

I’m not convinced they’re all lying. I think many are victims of a systematic effort to discredit the notion of intellectual authority and the primacy of objective truth. They didn’t invent the idea that global warming is a hoax. They didn’t invent the “fact” that job growth under Trump far exceeds job growth under Obama. Or that a gang of criminals is preparing to invade the country. They read it on websites that look exactly like real websites. They saw it on TV shows that look exactly like real TV shows.

I think they’re suckers more often than they’re liars.

Oh, and of course racism greases the skids.

8 Likes

Trump University

22 Likes

This is why I say to Pelosi who seems to think (like Obama for a long time) ‘we can work with them’: Get the fuck off the road and let someone else drive.

12 Likes