Five years ago: Covfefe

Originally published at: Five years ago: Covfefe | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I still contend he fell asleep mid-tweet.

4 Likes

I’m on my second cup of Covfefe right now!

4 Likes

What a weird thing to make me feel old, but there you go. The years just keep slipping by, faster and faster.

8 Likes

I have mixed feelings about the way the internet loves to score cheap points by going after bad people for the wrong reasons. I guess it’s okay since Former Guy has also been called to the mat for the right reasons, but it feels disingenuous and a waste of energy at the same time.

3 Likes

100% Some POS will say all kinds of bigoted shit and mostly get away with it and then they’ll use the wrong “their” or something and people jump on to be like “look at this ignorant shit.”

1 Like

12 Likes

Q knows it best.

3 Likes

I don’t think it was cheap points. It was that for once, Trump said something stupid that was funny instead of horrifying, and the internet needed the moment of levity amid the gloom. I distinctly remember that for me people squelched it pretty quick by hand-wringing over optics though.

14 Likes

Sadly, we continue to drown in this grifter’s covfefe and will through 2024 at least.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Covfefe, kayfabe - it’s all Trump.

6 Likes

Yah that’s fair.

I guess my worry is that it undermines one’s rhetorical position to do things like dogpile on to their typos instead of their policies or ideas. I mean covfefe was funny, but also it’s clear what he meant to type. At the end of the day it looks petty.

That said, I also understand that mocking fascists is a valuable tool that works. I don’t want to claim some pearl-clutching moral high ground about only debating ideas or some such. There is also a point where the other stuff becomes fair game and it’s effective to draw Hitler fucking a donkey or whatever. Mixed feelings, like I said. :face_with_monocle:

6 Likes

Well, that’s what the squelching was. Because of course the left always needs to conduct its every reaction just so, and how dare people simply laugh at something ridiculous without making it all about how it looks to the fascists.

I actually quit the bbs for more than a year at that point because that level of policing reactions had just gotten too exhausting to stand. Sometimes it’s better to just let people express themselves honestly.

4 Likes

Yah, I tried specifically to walk a line around this notion. I agree we should never care how what we say will be used by the other side, or how it will look or whatever, because that’s not a game that can be won. When your opponent is playing a different game (and a completely disingenuous one) it doesn’t matter what you say.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.