Five years later, and I am still using my magnetic tool holder every day

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/29/five-years-later-and-i-am-sti.html

3 Likes

So every time you want to use that screwdriver you have to deal with the electrical tape. Personally I use a tool cabinet.

I have four of them. Best garage purchase ever. Perfect for drill bits, screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches… A tool in a drawer is a forgotten tool.

4 Likes

Yes these are great. But don’t buy these from Amazon at $25. You can get them from Harbor Freight for $5. I got all mine during a Harbor Freight sale for $1.99 each.

5 Likes

Totally agree. I put up a couple magnetic bars a year ago and use them every day. Really surprised how useful they are.

I got a couple of the 1 foot length ones several years back and attached them to the sides of my vent hood on the stove; that’s where my kitchen knives live, and it’s much more convenient than the knife block which was taking up countertop real estate. I might get several for the sockets and drill bits that are currently everywhere in my rolling tool box.

1 Like

“I use this thing, and it works for me.”
“Well, that’s dumb. You should do the same thing I do.”

Sigh.

5 Likes

It’s too bad the BB Store can’t sell useful stuff like this.

Five years later, and I am still using my magnetic tool holder every day

Well when is it gonna be SOMEONE ELSE’S turn??? Geeze.

3 Likes

At least when I open the drawer for screwdrivers I don’t have to mess with electrical tape.

Well, thank Jebus for that.

I have both Harbor Freight strips and the one @frauenfelder pictures. The latter has very substantially more holding power. That might or might not be important for a given task: the HF strip is fine for knives, but I wouldn’t trust it with an axe or a sledgehammer.

1 Like

Ah, I see. I am also realizing that there are tools I’m placing on the magnetic strip, that I don’t want magnetized. My metal file is a pain to clean lately.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.