FiveThirtyEight founder Nate Silver predicts who will be president but says not to trust his prediction

FiveThirtyEight is propped up by salary paid by Peter Thiel as an adviser to PT’s Polymarket prediction racket. So, he’s owned now.

8 Likes

What would we do without Nate Silver to tell us that the next President of the United States will be either Donald Trump or Kamala Harris?

5 Likes

Must be because nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American voter.

Frustrated Jason Segel GIF by NETFLIX

6 Likes

Now he works for Peter Thiel-backed Polymarket, which is holding large bets for a Trump win. Hopefully he helps the company lose its shirt.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/polymarket-hires-nate-silver-taking-154956290.html

CryptoBros favor Trump? Who would have guessed!

14 Likes

Exactly. Neither Silver (Thiel’s new pet) nor Carville (a last gasp of 1990s-vintage Third Way complacency) are very helpful, except in helping to promote the NYT’s horse race narrative.

More on that smug complacency…

If Carville wins his bet, he can’t conceive of his opponents trying to mug him for his winnings when he leaves the card room. No, if Harris wins it probably won’t be all OK.

5 Likes

Doing My Part GIF by MOODMAN

The state confirmed my mail on ballot was received.

9 Likes

Mine was as well.

6 Likes

Look man, can’t we just acknowledge that this guy doesn’t really know WTF he is talking about? I don’t think anyone does. There are too many factors and things are too close to have any real predictive powers beyond a guess.

2 Likes

I put mine in the dropbox at city hall. No word back yet from California. Do they generally wait to process those?

3 Likes

We voted on the first day of early voting here - hopelessly red Tennessee. We cast our COMPLETELY POINTLESS AND IGNORED BLUE VOTES out of symbolic gesture I guess? For the two completely unopposed Republican districts I wrote in “Inanimate Carbon Rod.” I was never able to get the Dem headquarters on the phone and the little hut they have was always closed so I couldn’t even get a yard sign. Not that it would have mattered here in cracker country.

ETA - America is not a democracy until the Electoral College is done away with and the President is elected by popular vote STATE MAJORITY BE DAMNED

9 Likes

I don’t know about California, but in Maryland they don’t begin processing until 8 days before the early voting begins.

According to Ballotopedia.org California begins processing 29 days before the election, but results aren’t released until 8pm Election Day.

Maryland is nice in that they send a text message and email letting you know they mailed the ballot to you, that they received it, and then when they’ve processed it.

2 Likes

I don’t think any vote is pointless, even if it won’t change the immediate results of an election.

Voting is as much an act of resistance as it is a civic duty. Not voting tells the fascists that they’ve won, you’ve capitulated, and they are unaccountable.

The Electoral College must die!

9 Likes

I work nights. I cast my ballot the morning early voting opened in my state.

I did my bit!

2 Likes

Fuck Nate Silver

3 Likes

It will be until it isn’t. People used to say the same about GA, so know hope.

Los Angeles Anniversary GIF by The Paley Center for Media

1 Like