Flight cancelled, man detained after throwing coins into plane engine for "good luck"

Don’t over luck yourself, or you’ll luck out.

1 Like

Between the schedule-shuffling for all the passengers, the idle hours on an expensive airframe; and some mechanics needing to go in and do an intensive proof by exhaustion that all, rather than merely most, of the coins have been retrieved; that fine probably comes in a decent way under what the stunt cost.

I assume that people feel bad bringing down the hammer on the well-meaning attempts of the superstitious to calm their nerves; but it doesn’t take malice to really throw a spanner in a lot of people’s days.

8 Likes

Ironic?

The remix is pretty neat too

3 Likes

There needs to be a retired jet engine installed in the terminal where passengers can throw coins into such a re-purpose built “wishing well” without harming any jet engine still in service.

Previous result of such a stunt (on Boing Boing).

Previously on Boing Boing, the sound you don’t want to hear a jet engine make (as a mechanic) when you drop screws into it.

6 Likes

If you do this in Microsoft Flight Simulator it opens a vortex to another dimension.

1 Like

Fact: 100% of all planes that crashed did not have coins thrown in the engine for luck before takeoff.

That’s just science.

2 Likes

If he heard it, I bet the Wintergatan - Marble Machine guy would say “Hey, maybe I could use that…”

2 Likes

I gotta make payments with more commas in them, that’s key right there I can tell.
1,xx,xxx sure, take it out of this 14, lakh.

3 Likes

That engine now has to be completely stripped down and rebuilt. Can’t take any chances that something else is still in there. Way to go, dude. You just created a ton of work for flight mechanics who just want to get home to their families. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

The exact same thing happened a couple of years ago.

I remember that story because I was in the midst of planning a trip to China that same summer.

4 Likes

Jet engines usually are finely tuned.

I’ll get my coat.

8 Likes

What I do is I throw some money in the flight operator’s account in exchange for my ticket. They then use this to pay priests called technicians to keep the planes safe.

5 Likes

This is where Cancel Culture is headed.

They can’t tolerate the man’s beliefs so they literally cancel the flight he was on out of pure spite.

4 Likes

Did this come from some previous custom of feeding coins to your horse before a long journey or what?

5 Likes

Some sort of “neigh for pay” scheme?

2 Likes

I love the sound that made, the final ‘ping’ after a fraction of a second pause is the cherry on the top!
I want that as a ring-tone. :grin:

1 Like

Can I get that on iTunes?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.