American Airlines flight makes emergency landing after man tries to open exit door

Originally published at: American Airlines flight makes emergency landing after man tries to open exit door | Boing Boing

6 Likes

GIF by Outsiders

24 Likes

On the plus side, Kansas City is a great city with a lot to offer.

15 Likes

The airlines may or may not get their no-fly lists for arseholes like this. If an incident like this happens on a flight I’m on, though, I plan on being lead plaintiff in a lawsuit aimed at ensuring that the jerk pays for my and everyone else’s tickets and inconvenience.

32 Likes

I am on the verge of adding aircraft to cruise ships on my list of “Are You Fucking Kidding Me?”

27 Likes

I suspect that tactical use of a coffee pot isn’t included in cabin crew training, but perhaps it should be.

I also suspect that some lawyer somewhere is preparing to reach out to the ‘gentleman’ with a proposal for a no-win no-fee case against the airline for criminal assault (vide Exhibit A, the coffee pot). Although it does seem as if a “whatever it takes” approach is implicitly sanctioned in cases where passengers endanger or attempt to endanger aircraft, and I haven’t heard of anyone successfully suing an airline for injuries sustained in the process.

8 Likes

Besides that, FAA commonly levies hefty fines for disruptive passengers.

11 Likes

Placing these idiots in the insulation free cargo hold for the duration of the flight seems like a great idea to keep the flight from being diverted. Install trap doors throughout.

10 Likes

It’s tempting to feel this way, especially reading boing boing which posts every single one of these stories that comes along.

But the thing to remember is that there are around 29,000 commercial passenger flights a day in the US, and these incidents happen, what, once a month or so? So that’s a 1 in 870,000 chance of something nuts like this happening on your flight. For perspective, the odds of you being hit by lightning in your lifetime is 1 in 15000. The odds of Bennu, the best-known planet killer asteroid in our neighborhood hitting earth are 1 in 1750. So if you want to worry about something, maybe pick that last one.

Cruise ships, on the other hand, do seem like something worth avoiding. The percentage of those that have a horrible incident is orders of magnitude higher, though I’m not going to bother running the numbers there because this post is already too long and self-indulgent.

Sources:

https://www.weather.gov/safety/lightning-odds

17 Likes

14 Likes

I hear they have some crazy little women there. Match made in heaven.

7 Likes

He was restrained with zip ties and tape until the plane made an emergency landing in Kansas City, Missouri and he was greeted by authorities.

Kansas City: come to drop off the person trying to open the doors of an airplane, stay for the BBQ!

Yeps! Most bad things in the news, even when there is an uptick of something, isn’t as bad as every example getting air times leads one to believe.

4 Likes

But his escape plan was foiled when a flight attendant bashed him on the head multiple times with a coffee pot while passengers held him down.

Monday isn’t so bad after all.

10 Likes

Unless you really needed your caffeine fix.

6 Likes

We seem to need a way for people to let themselves without inconveniencing the others. I don’t expect it to be used. It might be like the ‘crash’ command (Multics?) that let you crash the computer. This could be used for testing the crash handling, but was left in to take all the fun away from people with the urge to invent cunning ways to force a crash.

“I’m going to get out of this aircraft! You can’t stop me!”

“Very well sir. You cannot open this door because of the pressure difference, but I am now enabling the Flush Me button in the toilet just for you. Thank you for travelling with American Airways.”

2 Likes

They’ve gone about as far as they can go.

3 Likes

A good reminder, because “nut job tried to open door on passenger jet” comes up every year:

12 Likes

Please do. %tile of cruise ship horrors would be something I could bring up when my parents again suggest an All-Extended-Family cruise. And for fulfillment of curious cat cravings.

3 Likes

(Wow, they really exist. Of course they do)

8 Likes

Kudos to the coffee pot basher! I’m assuming they must be steel pots. Regardless I hope they put the pot back into operation and gave the first cup to the basher. I’ve got an image of a tired overworked lady who already had a bad day and this dumbass just tweaked her last nerve. I’d love to see a video of that action. Do you want sugar or creamer? How about I cream your ass with this pot.

5 Likes