Flight cancelled, man detained after throwing coins into plane engine for "good luck"

Originally published at: Flight cancelled, man detained after throwing coins into plane engine for "good luck" | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I thought it was only fountains. Who knew you could throw coins in just anything for good luck?

10 Likes

He [the other person that did something like this] was ordered to pay a fine of 1,20,000 yuan (Rs 12.36 lakh) to the budget airline Lucky Air for his actions.

But… but… it’s right there in the name! That’d be a double-positive, it could overflow!

12 Likes

Wang has a somewhat crippled understanding of how ‘good luck’ would manifest in this scenario.

21 Likes

Stuff like this really works. I had a crazy ex-girlfriend who once put “good luck” sugar in my gas tank. Next thing you know, I was blessed with a new car engine.

22 Likes

Ikr? How lucky is Lucky Airlines if he got caught? He should sue for fraud.

5 Likes

About 18,500 dollars, according to Google. Steeper than I expected, honestly.

9 Likes

Well, add another thing to the list that I’ve apparently being doing wrong.

9 Likes

A simple solution–put in a box somewhere for customers to put their coins.

If 7-11 can do it, so can an airline.

8 Likes

Hopefully, not my proctologist.

9 Likes

Having a proctologist who wants to get lucky during your appointment seems problematic, no matter what their position is on distribution of wealth.

15 Likes

This is China, he will never pay such amount.
Just write an appology letter and you are good to go.

Not the kind of monetary injection I had in mind.

5 Likes

Sully is displeased.

I feel like they should have an engine avatar for them to throw coins into for luck. And then - boom - free money! Or donate it to charity.

3 Likes
22 Likes

Apparently, this is a thing.

17 Likes

Surprisingly melodic.

7 Likes

Is there a name for actions that are intended to have one effect but very directly (and obviously) lead to the opposite outcome? I mean, it is ironic, but it seems like a highly specific sub-type of irony here.

Good gods, whyyyy? How can something that’s some obviously a bad idea seem like a good one to people? It’s as absurd as the idea of “lucky poison.”

Very? If he hadn’t been spotted, it likely would have been extremely unlucky for the passengers of that flight, after all…

6 Likes

Superstitious twats. There is nothing more to say.

4 Likes