Flight delay ends revelers hopes for a "double New Year"

Originally published at: Flight delay ends revelers hopes for a "double New Year" - Boing Boing

2 Likes

There are plenty of places where one can just walk from one timezone to another to do the same thing.

I think it would be more fun to leave San Francisco on the 10:40pm flight to Sydney on 31 December, and land in Sydney around 6am on 02 January, missing 01 January entirely!

7 Likes

Did anyone wait around for the sign to go from 0 to 1?

4 Likes

I wish I had that kind of money to waste.

2 Likes

Last December 31st: Half of next town over burns down and fire is rapidly approaching, while power shuts off for days in freezing temperatures.

This December 31st: Entire household sick with COVID.

If anything, I’d like my New Year watered down rather than having a double.

5 Likes

At least they didn’t hit bad weather.

1 Like

Where’s a stepping disc when you need one?

(Edit: Great, apparently I earwormed myself (if that term can be considered applicable to books as well as songs) and am now going to be spending the evening re-reading Ringworld.)

3 Likes

Like anyone’s going to stand around for a whole minute and seven seconds?

2 Likes

To attract the 2000/2001 trade, didn’t some places shift their timezone more than 24 hours?

2 Likes

All healing and blessings to you and your family. So sorry.

1 Like
3 Likes

Seems legit.
pacific-time-zone-map-sm-2984832957

True Detective Time GIF

3 Likes

I enjoy watching the New Year celebrations around the world as they happen but I have no urge to do it in person. It would exhaust me.

Not too long ago Disney was having some sort of special fireworks display. Our daughter decided it would be fun to go see it because her and her husband are Disney wackadoodles. She flew down the day of, watched the fireworks, boarded a flight immediately after, got home and went to work the next day.

I need a nap just telling the story.

None of those things interests me but if people want to do it, I guess, more power to 'em.

All that being said, I’ve got over a grand invested in seeing the last total eclipse I’ll have a chance to see in April. People have told me that’s nuts but we can’t wait. There’s about 12 of us meeting up at a campground Ohio.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.