Millions of American travel and gather for Thanksgiving, despite COVID warnings

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/23/millions-of-american-travel-and-gather-for-thanksgiving-despite-covid-warnings.html

6 Likes

Not I.

38 Likes

Every time I see a headline like this…

27 Likes

I’m going to fill my freezers with discount turkey next week and try to ride out the next 3-4 weeks as best as I can. As a species we’re pretty damn self-destructive.

16 Likes

I often hear USians sneer and roll their eyes at some of the mass pilgrimages undertaken in other parts of the world. Just don’t get between us and our obligatory family gatherings in November and December!

14 Likes

The fucked up rationalizations in that news vid…

04dc1c5381c9fb3ef782523135e77263

21 Likes

Passenger volume this past weekend was 43% of last year’s. Hmmm, I wonder which 43% of America is pretending it’s fine to travel for Thanksgiving this year?

20 Likes

14 Likes

Darwin wins another round. Never, ever bet against stupidity

6 Likes

Dead by Christmas. It sounds like the name of a really bad horror movie, but instead describes a lot of people’s family members this year, if they get together for Thanksgiving*.

The hospitals are at capacity now, what the fuck happens after a nationwide super-spreader event? The death rate is going to leap, as there won’t be hospital capacity (which is to say: enough doctors and nurses) to care for even the sickest people. (Oh, and that treatment Trump got, that he promised everyone? By January they expect to have manufactured enough doses to cover… one day’s worth of US new infections.) I can’t imagine how bad things are going to get. People will still probably be trying to get together for Christmas, too. Doubly unimaginable.

*This story is forefront in my head right now: someone asymptomatic who tested negative got on a plane and still managed to infect four other people during a flight.

19 Likes

Ol’ Red White and Blue.

4 Likes
4 Likes

It’s the American Dream

2 Likes

As evidenced by the widespread lack of masks, a distressingly large number of Americans, many of whom aren’t necessarily even Trump cultists, have simply decided that the virus is over because they feel like it. It’s been a really long time, so it’s just gotta be, right? Might as well go out and potentially murder any passersby and/or their families.

16 Likes

This goes back to the very roots of Thanksgiving in 1621 with the Wampanoag. “Travel Far, Bring Disease, Kill People”.
Thanks to H.S. for the insight.

19 Likes

While this is true, the Death Cult Party is taking the opportunity of the All-American holiday to do whatever it can to increase transmission in the name of free-dum. For example:

12 Likes

Just wondering how many of these are college students. Many schools had students quarantine for the last two weeks and are sending them home to finish the semester remotely.

3 Likes

And the stupidest part is, when the schmaltzy, heartwarming movies come out in ten years time about how Americans safely struggled through this virus alone during the holidays, these people are going to shed tears and wax nostalgic about all the sacrifices they too made during this time. Hell, they’re the target audience.

*edited because no coffee/no brain

12 Likes

That percentage is kinda familiar. I wonder it the percentage of red hat wearers among them is up to nigh on unity?

5 Likes

I wish it were that simple. I was in a work call yesterday. My colleagues are thoughtful and smart and I know the ones on the call all hate trump, but 2 of them (out of 7) are planning holiday get togethers. 1 is having a multigenerational dinner even though they live in a super hot zone. Their logic is, “we’ve all been being safe” even though they went to a restaurant last week. The other is planning to drive across the country through a bunch of hot zones. I think their logic is just, “grandkids to see.”
Being more of an introvert, I find the strong urge to gather in a pandemic completely baffling. But it’s definitely not as simple as MAGAs vs. non.

18 Likes