Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

8 Likes
6 Likes

The research, published in the journal Nature, used high-resolution mapping of the sea bed off Norway …
They found speeds of between 50 metres a day and 600 metres a day. That is up to 20 times faster than the speediest retreat recorded previously by satellites, of 30 metres a day at the Pope Glacier in West Antarctica.

From the paper:

The highest retreat rates were measured across the flattest areas of the former bed, suggesting that near-instantaneous ice-sheet ungrounding and retreat can occur where the grounding line approaches full buoyancy. … The corrugation ridges mapped in this study are interpreted to be produced by the squeezing of seafloor sediments along a retreating grounding line during successive tidal cycles.

So if I understand correctly, the tides can pound the glaciers to bits over flatter seabeds. Ouch. The article’s discussion of this effect on Antarctic glaciers, the ones poised to drown Florida, is a little hand-wavey. I’m sure we’ll see more.

9 Likes

Sarcastic-thanks GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

10 Likes

We had a horrible thunderstorm all night and well into this morning (Indiana, but I assume Illinois as well), so I checked the Weather app and it said Severe Storm Warning, April 4th-9th. I thought it must be a typo, but there were other references to confirm it.

Now, as it turns out, things got better, so they’ve taken down the warning, but I have never seen nearly-one-week-long storm warning before!

9 Likes

Yesterday’s hail

7 Likes

Same here. The round of storms last week hit Delaware, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania pretty hard with multiple tornadoes. I’m not looking forward to seeing more violent weather here!

5 Likes

THIS EXPLAINS A LOT

8 Likes

One thing that really stood out to me: they’re getting their numbers from municipal areas that have at least estimated numbers to give. The states at below 1% are also the states where more homes are on their own water system, so there’s no way to know what those pipes are lined with. It could be that a significantly higher percentage-of-the-population regarding lead pipes are in Kentucky or Oklahoma, for example, if we really had all the numbers.

6 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes

Pretty much the whole state.

6 Likes

I’d feel better if those advisories didn’t contain a mix of dates - 2020, 2021, and 2022. :thinking: Was any testing done this year? Most of what I catch comes from the ocean, but these lists seem confusing for consumers.

5 Likes

Finally, something I don’t have to warn my Philly daughter to worry about!

(She’s vegetarian)

10 Likes

We stopped river tubing at Harper’s Ferry, about 30mins south of the PA line, when the water quality of the Shenandoah was deemed unsafe for human contact about seven years ago due to fecal bacteria. Three-quarters of it still is.

6 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

( https://archive.ph/0OJHV )

2 Likes