Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

There are certainly questions that I fear to have answered. This would be one of them.

scared fear GIF by Carlotta Notaro

5 Likes
2 Likes

Can confirm. DC looked like Winter in Beijing today.

3 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes

5 Likes

Starting to see our asthmatics rolling in. Funnily enough, they did not find the smoke “totally harmless” and are struggling to breath. And steroids are, of course, already getting difficult to find. Have I mentioned how much I hate this fucking timeline?

8 Likes

There was an overweight lady parking in an office near me yesterday who was struggling to breathe so much so that she left the office for another one more inside the building. There was an entrance nearby and folks going in and out were letting the smoke inside. She sounded like she was dying. Hard to watch and hear.

3 Likes

As an asthmatic who’s outside all this air pollution…

Season 2 Good Luck GIF

4 Likes
6 Likes

This week we fired up the “OMG the kids have COVID” air treatment system from April: MERV 13 furnace filters strapped to fans. They were quite dark after a few days. The air indoors was noticeably better.

I note that MERV 13 is not HEPA, but is rated for some types of smoke.

So this adds up :heavy_dollar_sign:, but I found a source for low-cost filters in the Greater Toronto :canada: area: FurnaceFiltersGTA.ca in Brampton near Dixie and Steeles. They sell MERV 13’s that they manufacture themselves. In boxes of 12, if you pick them up, they are about 1/3 the cost of a 3M Filtrete at Home Depot. The filters seem well enough constructed, filter material on mesh, pleated; not quite as robust as the 3M filters, the word “adequate” comes to mind. If that means being able to keep 3 filters running in the house instead of 1, that’s a plus in my books.

(FTR I have no commercial relationship with the above company other than as a satisfied customer.)

(Edit: and they are around the corner from the Lindt distribution outlet store on Kennedy in Mississauga :grin:.)

6 Likes
5 Likes

“Fish kills like this are common in the summer when temperatures increase,” Johnson said.

“If there isn’t enough oxygen in the water, fish can’t ‘breathe,’” she added.

Low dissolved oxygen, in many cases, is a natural occurrence, according to Johnson.

///

But why are temperatures rising?

3 Likes

That is a question that is not to be asked in TX. (Or FL, or OK, or…)

5 Likes

Well, you know, the climate simply changes over time, as it has in the past. Heck, I think I might remember hearing about fish kills bigger than this just 66 million years ago. :cry:

3 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

When permafrost isn’t permanent anymore.
The second video is… amazing?

1 Like
5 Likes