Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

Same here [PA] in terms of low temps, too. We had no snow last winter and no rain in May, so the local brush fires are already bad. Now we’ve got Canadian smoke to breathe, too.

Sick Sore Throat GIF by ALLBLK

6 Likes

Season 2 Lol GIF by On My Block

7 Likes
7 Likes

forest_fires_over_time

From last year.

2 Likes
8 Likes
2 Likes

The distribution is particularly concerning, with the boreal forests seeming much more affected. This makes sense, given that the arctic is warming so much faster, but this is a (nother) disaster in the making, and not much attention being paid.

8 Likes

Thanks Canada!

4 Likes

NASA’s fire information system shows what’s burning.

Windy’s Aerosol layer shows the smoke pushed down by a low centered on New Brunswick. Their Fire Intensity and PM2.5 plots are informative as well.

Already this year, there have been 2,214 wildfires that have blackened more than 3.3 million hectares of Canadian wildland …
In fact, said Richard Carr, Natural Resources Canada’s fire danger forecasting expert, we’re looking at similar weather conditions to 1989, the worst year for wildfires in the past six decades, when 7.5 million hectares burned.

1 Like
6 Likes
3 Likes

The air quality for northern greater Toronto is in the toilet today. I think can see the smoke haze at ground level across a distance. We’ll stay closed up, and circulate the house air through a fresh filter. Yesterday it was better in the afternoon, so here’s hoping.

5 Likes

It’s bad in NJ, NY, and PA today, too. From the news footage and alerts, it seems less severe further south, but the sky near Philly is just a hazy brown. :grimacing: At least the heat today won’t be an issue here, however it’s unbelievable elsewhere:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/asia-climate-woes-mount-as-heat-shatters-may-records/ar-AA1bYk82

2 Likes

Usually PR doesn’t get that hot until August. A 125 heat index is fry your brain hot! I’ve stood on the hot cobblestones of old San Juan on days where you’d think that people would spontaneously combust but damn that’s really hot.

5 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

What “prelude”? This is no “prelude”. We had preludes, and we (as a species) ignored them all. This is no rehearsal.

9 Likes

For some people I guess climate change is always in the future, even as it unfolds around us. To be fair though there is still more coming. I wonder if there’s a limit to how much smoke the atmosphere can carry that far all at once. :frowning:

4 Likes
4 Likes
1 Like