Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

So I guess that collapse of the Gulf Stream is speeding up…

5 Likes

As the water pours in, it damages the ice sheet structure and releases its latent heat.

Every water state or phase change involves energy being stored or released, sometimes an awful lot.

5 Likes

ETA: Every summer, the water gets turned off at inopportune times. I’m gonna have to get the water-saving bucket out again.

4 Likes

Cities in the US are proposing/putting a lot of resources into seawall projects. I’ve been seeing more reports about Charleston, SC and now NYC:

I’d like to see if this proposed spending is more or less than the resources allocated to reducing the causes of climate change.

8 Likes

Flood gates on the Delaware may be in our future. If we want an airport, navy yard & part of the city.

7 Likes

(You’d think with my having just repaired an eaves trough drain section that sank, filled, froze and cracked, that this paper would be less of an “oh s**t” moment for me… :thinking: )

Found the paper as a preprint. It notes that the models forecast thin, 2cm cracks down as far as 550m.

Supraglacial streams drive widespread partial-depth hydrofractures in ice sheets

David Chandler
NORCE Norwegian Research Centre

Alun Hubbard
UiT - The Arctic University of Norway

Date: July 29th, 2022

4 Likes
2 Likes

Not an ocean expert, but I’d say it’s more likely the crabs gonna eat you.

3 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

Better than hydroxic acid :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

True, but if you actually run the numbers this is basically cows vs. sharks.

2 Likes
4 Likes
9 Likes

https://climatereanalyzer.org/clim/t2_daily/

Hot-farts GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

6 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

Angry Amy Sedaris GIF by truTV’s At Home with Amy Sedaris

8 Likes

Any thoughts of retiring to Arizona are completely destroyed!

6 Likes

you do not want to go there. Phoenix is a sprawling blast furnace, an actual hell-on-earth.
i remember one summer temp got up to 122F and Sky Harbor closed the runway because jets landing on the heat-sofened tarmac would tear it up.

8 Likes