Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

The place I liked visiting in AZ was Bisbee. Cute little town. But I should limit any consideration to states that are welcoming to queer people. Times are tough.

It was a cute mountain town with lots of queer people and artists. Enjoyed my short visit.

7 Likes

Sedona was nice for the short time i lived there.
work dragged me to Phoenix and i was stuck there for 20 years. so happy i got out!

11 Likes

I thought Phoenix was already considered uninhabitable. I’m still surprised it’s supposedly not named after the fact that the bird is on fire.

12 Likes

The runways at Sky Harnor are concrete. The problem with the heat is that with high temperatures the air is less dense and so there is less lift, and so a longer runway is required. This prevents some aircraft types from being able to take off within the available runway length.

8 Likes

thanks.
i always learn something new around here.

edit: why the specific temperature of 122F? there were many days the mercury climbed to 120F with no closure. i vividly recall the threshold temp was 122F.

7 Likes

Yes. Almost all large commercial airports use concrete. Pretty thick stuff that requires special curing. Limits the contractor pool to those with that expertise. Upping the cost.

9 Likes

That means the closure temperature is the nice round number of 50°C, it just doesn’t sound like it’s rounded in American. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

that’s as good a reason as any, i guess. it is Phoenix. i don’t expect anything to make much sense over there.
eta: oh yeah, and the temps in Fahrenheit are a big “Because Fuck You, Metric System”. should have known.

11 Likes

To add to NukeML’s response.

10 Likes

… when it’s hot there, the humidity is very low

Phoenix, Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, AZ, United States (KPHX) 33-26-03N 112-03-04W 336M
Jul 08, 2023 - 06:51 PM EDT / 2023.07.08 2251 UTC
Wind: from the W (280 degrees) at 8 MPH (7 KT):0
Visibility: 10 mile(s):0
Sky conditions: mostly clear
Temperature: 111.9 F (44.4 C)
Dew Point: 35.1 F (1.7 C)
Relative Humidity: 7%
Pressure (altimeter): 29.67 in. Hg (1004 hPa)
ob: KPHX 082251Z 28007KT 10SM FEW150 44/02 A2967 RMK AO2 SLP022 T04440017
cycle: 23

That’s a wet bulb temperature of 19° C

3 Likes

3 Likes

The biggest gold rush in history is about to start in the deep sea – leaving devastation in its wake

Applications to mine the seabed in our ocean commons can be made from 9 July, allowing a few corporations to profit from ecological disaster

4 Likes
5 Likes

The frontpage of Yahoo is sure making Texas look great this morning

3 Likes

:thinking: Ok, orcas can train the whales…and with Japan’s recent announcement, miners might not be able to handle kraken or kaiju. :crossed_fingers:t4:

Martin Jones Sport GIF by Sealed With A GIF

9 Likes

It’s also kind of nice that it’s a whole number in both systems. That happens whenever Celsius is a multiple of five – or if you prefer, whenever Fahrenheit is five more than a multiple of nine.

8 Likes

That’s a new way to think of it, thanks!

7 Likes

One thing I haven’t seen pointed out yet about the proposed new renewable energy restrictions on private land in Texas is that it’s once again a way to create a law that services the few & powerful over the many.

The restrictions would mean it would be almost impossible to have a wind turbine unless you own extreme acreage: the minimum would be if you owned 640 acres (1 square mile) and had one turbine at the exact center of your property. If you want several, well, you’d better have several thousand acres to work with.

9 Likes

Texan thought climate change would only impact “faraway places”, is now shocked to see consequences in his own area. Link

8 Likes
5 Likes