Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

(NY Times reprint)

3 Likes
3 Likes

In the last 24 hours, parts of western New England have received upwards of 4-to-8 inches of rain, the equivalent of two months worth of water.

5 Likes

… just for my own future reference, highs from the historic heat wave in late June 2021

5 Likes

I looked up today’s.

Quite a difference!

6 Likes

WTF! 118 in the Dalles! 108 in Bend!!!

I forgot how bad it was…

8 Likes

Between Newport and Salem:

54 miles apart

54 degrees difference in temperature :thinking:

7 Likes

There’s an intermediate value theorem word problem hiding in here somewhere.

4 Likes

This is a must-read for everyone who had, has, or will have someone in their bubble who is trying to move the goalposts on the discussion of the climate catastrophe.

5 Likes
5 Likes

Is it too soon to talk about crop failure?

Narrator: “It’s going to happen sooner than we think.”

4 Likes

This is the unspoken fallacy of every climate model. The actual system progresses faster than the model predicts. Every damned time. They are always wrong, and always in the same direction. We don’t have until 2100, we don’t have until 2050. Hell, we don’t have until 2030! The disaster is here. We can wish it away all we want, but it does not care. Buckle up, it’s gonna get real now.

14 Likes

Too many models of “this is what happens if we do what we need”, “this is what happens if we try some of what we really need”, :this is what happens if we eventually do a little of what we desperately need", instead of “this is what happens if rich sociopaths prioritize short-term profit over the survival of our world”. :rage:

9 Likes

Ten "superpolluter” publishers, among them Russian state media and right wing US news site, Breitbart, are the source of 69% of interactions with climate denial content on Facebook. according to a study by the CCDH. These “toxic ten” publish overt climate denial and amplifies it on Facebook

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Sad Happy Hour GIF

3 Likes

9 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

Right now:

Next saturday:

Africa, Asia, who cares?

Forecast for Phoenix, AZ, next Saturday:

Zooming out:

Oh, Johannesburg has had snow.

9 Likes

Holy shit! I understand it’s dry, and wet bulb is not terribly applicable, but holy shit! This is deadly, and this is not “some shit hole country.” But the fascists are so locked into their reality-free zone, they can’t even acknowledge it when facts kick them in the balls.

12 Likes