Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

6 Likes

When a colleague from (IIRC) Phoenix told me, back in the 80’s, of the local custom of leaving a quarter on the toilet after you flush to chip in for the water, I suspected there might be a problem. :thinking:

4 Likes

Welp, first day of summer water rationing in Tijuana. I never get alerts because I don’t have cable television, so I only managed to get 1/4 of a five-gallon bucket’s worth of water collected before it ran out. Maybe I’ll have enough for a sponge bath.

(NY Times reprint)

4 Likes
2 Likes

1 Like

I’m so sorry to all those people in the middle of this heatwave… JFC.

4 Likes

… not quite sure where that 121 heat index is

Kingsville is really fucking hot right now though

KINGSVILLE NAS, TX, United States (KNQI) 27-50N 097-81W 15M
Jul 12, 2023 - 04:56 PM EDT / 2023.07.12 2056 UTC
Wind: from the SE (140 degrees) at 21 MPH (18 KT) gusting to 32 MPH (28 KT):0
Visibility: 10 mile(s):0
Sky conditions: mostly clear
Temperature: 100.0 F (37.8 C)
Heat index: 119.3 F (48.5 C):1
Dew Point: 79.0 F (26.1 C)
Relative Humidity: 51%
Pressure (altimeter): 29.84 in. Hg (1010 hPa)
Pressure tendency: 0.05 inches (1.8 hPa) lower than three hours ago
ob: KNQI 122056Z 14018G28KT 10SM FEW050 FEW250 38/26 A2984 RMK AO2 PK WND 12028/2052 SLP102 T03780261 56018 
cycle: 21
3 Likes

A self poaching ocean.

97 degrees. Damn.

plot_met.php

(Buoy somewhere between the tip of Fla and the Keys.)

https://archive.li/xQP59

2 Likes

:exploding_head:

3 Likes

seven insurers went belly up

:thinking:

3 Likes

this is bad. really bad.
the hot ocean water surrounding me is very bad.
the state has totally fucked us on the insurance, giving so much away to developers to build freely in unsustainable areas and ignoring the all-too-real climate change disasters that are already upon us. none of this ends well for any of us!

hyper-locally, the hot water in the florida bay (1/2mile east of me) and atlantic (1/2mile west) make the air feel like a sauna.
fishing sucks as the reef fish head for deeper waters offshore. nearshore waters are hot, brown, green and no fish. that goes out 3miles. 5miles out, the water is deeper, 30-50meters, bluer and cooler. yet, in the National Marine Sanctuary, at depths of 20meters or more the water temp is still 80F!
lobster season starts next month, but the big bugs will be down deep. this should be high mahi season. they are further out offshore in deeper, cooler water. only last summer, fishing was what we were accustomed to. this year and going forward…
living here was always a crap shoot, or as i like to remind the mum, our hurricane season is just another spin of the roulette wheel; there will be a hurricane, it will hit florida. will it land on our number? we still bet that it won’t, but the hedge bet of black/red used to be insurance. the value of that payout is no longer certain.

sorry for the long winded anecdote from the middle of the stew, but i wanted to report from the very center of this occurrence to say “this shit is real, y’all”.

7 Likes

No problem man! This shit is terrifying.

10 Likes

Opinion | The Texas Heat Dome Shows an Exhausting Glimpse of the Future - The New York Times

7 Likes
6 Likes
7 Likes

And if you can’t get insurance- you can only sell to cash buyers.

I bet Floridians are really happy DeSantis is focusing on their real problems instead of insignificant things like losing their homes. Wonder how he can blame this on queer people?

9 Likes

He already is blaming in on “Wokeness” whatever the hell that means. “The libs made up this fake crisis that is devastating our state! That makes it their fault! We tried nothing, we tried ignoring it, we tried banning discussion of it, now we have no choice but to go the war with trans people! What else can we do?”

oh my god omg GIF by Hell's Kitchen

10 Likes
5 Likes