Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

They never should have given a beer to a trans woman!

4 Likes

(60C x 9/5) +32 = 140F

The 60C land temperature was recorded by the sea and land surface temperature radiometer (SLSTR) instrument, which is a feature of Copernicus Sentinel-3 satellites.

Copernicus is the Earth observation component of the European Union’s space programme.

Bosses at Copernicus point out that the land surface temperature is that of the soil and should not be confused with the air temperature.

The extreme heat is forecast to last across the Mediterranean for around two weeks.

2 Likes

60C will pasteurize the soil, eliminating the microbiome and compromise the life sustaining ability of the environment. This factor just cannot be overstated.

6 Likes

I have seen rhizobia for sale to you can use when planting legumes, to make sure they have a chance to find the symbiotes they need right away. I wonder if agriculture can try doing that for some of the other components of a healthy soil microbiome too.

That wouldn’t help the wildlife, and anything that depends on them. But it might be a step up from watching Iberia turn into a complete desert, assuming that’s not inevitable anyway. :disappointed:

6 Likes

Canada’s wildfire crisis can only deepen as country faces record heat

https://www.axios.com/2023/07/13/canada-record-wildfire-crisis-record-heat

2 Likes

Citation?

Guardians Of The Galaxy Wink GIF

5 Likes

well, fuck me. almost there again:

Climate Reanalyzer

3 Likes

The Goldbergs GIF by ABC Network

4 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes

Risks of synchronized low yields are underestimated in climate and crop model projections

Kai Kornhuber, Corey Lesk, Carl F. Schleussner, Jonas Jägermeyr, Peter Pfleiderer, Radley M. Horton
Nature Communications volume 14, Article number: 3528 (04 July 2023)

Given the identified model biases, future assessments of regional and concurrent crop losses from meandering jet states remain highly uncertain. Our results suggest that model-blind spots for such high-impact but deeply-uncertain hazards have to be anticipated and accounted for in meaningful climate risk assessments.

Via another cheery article by George Monbiot…

6 Likes

It’s supposed to be 96° here today

In the past I would have thought that was a lot

… now, really NBD :thinking:

8 Likes

The Ministry of Health has issued a red alert, valid throughout the weekend, for several central cities, from Rome to Bologna, Florence to Pescara, where temperatures are expected to reach a maximum of 37°C from Sunday, before peaking at the beginning of the week.

In Rome, temperatures could rise to 40°C on Monday, then 42 or 43°C on Tuesday, shattering the previous record of 40.5°C set in the capital in August 2007.

Sardinia could also break the record of 48.8°C set on 11 August 2021, the highest temperature ever measured in Europe.

8 Likes

The waters off the coast of Louisiana being hot enough for a crawfish boil might make for a seriously effed up hurricane season

2 Likes

3 Likes

It’s 117° in Phoenix right now

The overnight low was 93°

https://www.aviationweather.gov/metar/data?ids=KPHX&format=decoded&hours=18&date=202307160000

:musical_note: By the time I get to Phoenix
I’ll be on fire… :musical_note:

7 Likes
5 Likes

sorry, Im kinda obsessed;

JFC! and the chart for the north atlantic seems to need a new 26°C-row pretty soon;

Climate Reanalyzer