Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

Another general conclusion here is that climate change is going to hit the people who can least afford it and are least responsible for it the hardest. But that’s a lesson that has come up many times before.

SSDD…

7 Likes
2 Likes

… it’s 117° on the Colorado River right now

and the day isn’t over yet

Screenshot_2023-07-18-14-59-42-80_9c7ad408470e52983cc8816adf9ff347

AWC - METeorological Aerodrome Reports (METARs)

3 Likes

… also the heat index was 122°F again in Corpus Christi, Texas, a couple of hours ago

AWC - METeorological Aerodrome Reports (METARs)

Heat Index Calculator

5 Likes

9 Likes
3 Likes
8 Likes

BBC News - Europe heatwaves: Wildfires rage in Greece as temperatures soar

5 Likes

The photo they chose to use. We really are frogs in a slowly boiling pot of water.

3 Likes

BBC News - US heatwave sees hospitals use body-bag ice treatment

3 Likes
1 Like

Sad Jim Carrey GIF by Laff

2 Likes
4 Likes

Re: Hot flight

I was on a flight from Istanbul to Baku a few years back and it was the hottest flight I have ever taken. It was crazy hot inside during boarding and it didn’t cool down until descending into Baku. (Pilots must have opened their windows IDK) People were sweating, wet and angry. It was a hot day in early September and the plane must have been sitting on the tarmac for a day or more without AC before the flight. I wish they had cancelled the flight.

Airplane Sweating GIFs | Tenor

Hot to cold and then cold to hot multiple times during the day in the extreme temps we’re seeing now can’t be good for an airframe.

7 Likes

I was once on a flight from Phoenix in August (daytime temps tend to be over 100°F/38°C), and during boarding (pre 9/11) I noticed the cockpit was empty. Figuring the crew was behind the passengers turned out to be a bad guess. After everyone boarded they made an announcement that our pilots were arriving soon on another flight.

They gave us a choice to wait in the airport or on the plane. I disembarked to make a phone call and eat (about 2/3 of the passengers remained on board). When they announced boarding again, we discovered that they had turned off the A/C so everyone who chose to stay had been roasting in there the entire time the rest of us were chilling in the airport. :astonished: :hot_face: The smell of food and people was terrible, and I hope they all got compensated for their suffering. They did not warn anyone that the A/C would be shut off.

4 Likes
5 Likes

The MOORS… but…but those as MOOOSLIMS! /s

5 Likes

fuck.

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck.

4 Likes