Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

Canadian proposes that Canada do what it already pledged to do.

1 Like

Gotta make the individuals care about it first. Then the individuals can take collective action.

7 Likes

Does anyone have a source for this? I want it to be real, but I can’t trust any random image on the internet any more.

A quick check of the Guardian style guide suggests it is real.

climate change
is no longer considered to accurately reflect the seriousness of the situation; use climate emergency, crisis or breakdown instead

climate science denier or climate denier
The OED defines a sceptic as “a seeker of the truth; an inquirer who has not yet arrived at definite conclusions”.

Most “climate sceptics”, in the face of overwhelming scientific evidence, deny climate change is happening, or is caused by human activity, so denier is more accurate

4 Likes
6 Likes

No doubt that opening the books of many other companies would show the same.

6 Likes

Excessive Heat Delays Train Service in Maryland and it’s ONLY May!

It’s gonna be hot AF this Summer.

4 Likes

Good news for Minnesote-uns and everybody downwind of them, which is all of us.

2 Likes

At some point, we really need to reconsider how we define “normal.”

6 Likes

Some excellent graphics in this. It goes from local to national very quickly:

4 Likes

Since we were talking about bananas in Virginia:

Alternate subhed:

As the climate crisis worsens and temperatures climb across America, growing zones for flowers, shrubs, and trees are shifting northward, placing many ecosystems on which we depend at risk.

5 Likes

Yup. Its not just “oh cool, i can grow finicky things that used to not grow here.” Its also “fuck, they can’t grow food where they used to!” Like large chunks of the tropics.

7 Likes

And some other places.

AKA a sizeable chunk of the global grain supply.

6 Likes
5 Likes

Not strictly climate change, but certainly “things we do to fuck up our home.”

6 Likes

Someone needs to tell them that Earth Strike is already planned for September 27th, and has been for the last six months. Earth Stike has even been in the Guardian.

If these people are serious then why don’t they join in an already established movement?

ETA:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EarthStrike/comments/bsirqi/global_strikes_on_both_20th_and_27th_september/eoo8zky/

Just to clear everything up:

We’ve been talking with FFF for ages and the plan was to come together on the 27th September for a general strike with adults too. Then this group called 350.org came out of nowhere yesterday and decided to call a general strike on the 20th September without telling us or FFF and they instantly plasted it all over the news making us look like a laughing stock.

The situation is still unfolding and I’ll post a full summary of everything when it all gets sorted.

FFF = Fridays For Future, Greta Thunberg’s organisation.

6 Likes

Yeah, that’s not good. A severe snub to the people already planning a strike for just the week after.

1 Like
4 Likes
7 Likes

If you are a nerdy nerd like myself, the write up and reasoning of this one is worth reading. If you are not, the short answer is YES. Yes, it is linked to climate change, and the weather (as opposed to climate) is going to get weirder and less predictable over the foreseeable future.

9 Likes