Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

2 Likes
3 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes

Are we one of those species?

8 Likes
5 Likes

… no, there are more human beings now than ever before — “bad things are happening to many people” is not the same thing as extinction :confused:

5 Likes

I dont know; I tend to say “yes”, but I guess then theres always soylent green…

1 Like

Right now 8 billion people could die, and yet there would still be more of us left to carry on than there were in the Neolithic, a time when our species was surviving and spreading just fine. Extinction is something on a whole different order than any other disasters we’re familiar with.

7 Likes

Ivan Ooze is back and plotting his revenge

3 Likes
2 Likes

Somalia: Dozens killed, half a million displaced by floods

2 Likes
3 Likes

Return to Hadean…

(Thank the time lords for fast forward. 1 second equals about a million years.)

3 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/14/climate/climate-pledges-ndcs-un-report/index.html

3 Likes

And today it looks like things are going to get even hotter. The forecast for today is that 5 capitals will record temperatures above 41°C.

1 Like

tl;dr: It’s not too late, we could still fix this. But it will be expensive and inconvenient. That’s where the report stops. The conclusion is left as an exercise for the reader.

3 Likes

But analysis by Global Witness has found it would take the company 343 years to capture all the CO2 emissions it will produce in just the next six years.

Jonathan Noronha Gant from Global Witness said the findings proved carbon capture was “a dangerous red herring” that would do nothing to tackle the climate crisis

jah, no shit, sherlock.

3 Likes

Today the 60°S-60°N global average sea surface temperature broke through the 6 sigma barrier for the first time, reaching 6.08 standard deviations above the 1982-2011 mean.

1 Like