Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

Ending the year on a positive

It’s not sufficient, but the trend is good. I can’t see any chance that this will reverse any time soon, so next year should be greener than this. (Hopefully, next year we will have our own solar generating capacity up and running, but that’s another story!)

7 Likes

:sob:

3 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

2023 - a year of extreme weather - BBC Weather

1 Like

Sad thing is, and I’m not sure which side is actually to blame, but there are two stations outside London that were valid stops with customs, passport controls, etc. They’ve been closed since the pandemic, with no plans to re-open for eurostar traffic.

Yes, the logistics of getting to London afterwards is not simple, or fun, but it’s much better than being stuck in another country for the night, then taking the journey.

3 Likes

tl;dr Greed.

2 Likes
4 Likes
6 Likes

looney tunes crying GIF

3 Likes

Fires, but from above. At least if a solar storm knocks out the internet then we won’t have to worry about bad things because we won’t be doomscrolling about them, right? :thinking:

From long-term trends, it was expected that the upcoming solar maximum would be small, as indeed the one that peaked in 2014 was. However, in this, the following solar cycle, we have already exceeded predicted numbers of sunspots and had large magnetic storms, so predictions may need to be revised upward.

I just love :heart: how the page goes on to say “You might also like”

4 Likes

It’s good for us.

As long as you have back up for medical equipment.

1 Like

heres the site to keep up to date (as long as the great solar storm of 2025 doesnt knock out everything. should always be at least 2 days forewarning);

https://spaceweather.com/

and lots of great photos of auroras after each storm.

6 Likes

It’s cold.

4 Likes

You know it’s seriously cold when cold weather and snow is disrupting infrastructure in northern European countries that are used to snow…

Freezing Warm Up GIF by MOODMAN

9 Likes

4 Likes
3 Likes

Cop29, the next round of UN talks to tackle the climate crisis, will be led by another veteran of the oil and gas industry…Before his entry into politics in the autocratic country in western Asia, once a Soviet republic, Babayev spent 26 years working for the State Oil Company of the Azerbaijan Republic (Socar).