Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

:thinking: Your second edit pointing out that Pinatubo (10-20 megatons SO₂, Wikipedia puts it at 17) versus the shipping reduction of 8.5 megatons per year, 20 in 2019 to 2021, I find compelling.

I have no reason now, if I ever did, to discount Hansen’s analysis. :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

We got quite a bit of snow from those storms. And of course some fools decided to go hiking Mt. Baldy in the middle of it, despite all the warnings:

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/missing-mount-baldy-hiker-found-dead-18662954.php

If they close the mountain off during winter months because of a few foolhardy individuals who opt to solo-hike in inclement weather a whole lot of people are going to be seriously peeved.

2 Likes

5 Likes
1 Like

quite the “discover” when its obvious. (fuckfuckfuckfuck…FUCK!)

3 Likes
5 Likes

saw the statistics for the first half february for germany today…I mean, one doesnt “feels” it anymore, its too surreal, but so far its about 6 to 10°C warmer than normal (and reference here is 1991-2020, so already over “normal”);

we had 14°C today in berlin, forecast for tomorrow is 17°C(!).

3 Likes

remember when we had the plastic “recycling” discussion? well, guess what?

Plastic producers have known for more than 30 years that recycling is not an economically or technically feasible plastic waste management solution. That has not stopped them from promoting it, according to a new report…

The industry’s misconduct continues today, the report alleges. Over the past several years, industry lobbying groups have promoted so-called chemical recycling, which breaks plastic polymers down into tiny molecules in order to make new plastics, synthetic fuels and other products. But the process creates pollution and is even more energy intensive than traditional plastic recycling.

as I meant before, there is no such thing as plastic “recycling”.

5 Likes

There is no good news here. Sorry, folks. For all of us in the hurricane danger zone, we have a few months to make sure we have our shit together and ready. I would advise taking advantage of that and getting it done!

11 Likes

There’s this weird thing where headlines seem unable to report disasters as actually happening, like we’ve seen where a few thousand dead civilians leads to concerns things are getting out of hand. The seas turning into summer four months early may be a bad sign for the health of ocean ecosystems? Like running a massive fever could mean that a patient is sick? Let’s not jump to any conclusions though. :face_exhaling:

This is such an unbelievable and yet entirely predictable disaster, I can’t actually take it in. Maybe instead of extinctions, people should start cataloguing what things are actually likely to survive, so we can guess what animals will be like when biodiversity finally recovers in ten or twenty million years.

10 Likes

its not only the headlines, its the whole approach of mainstream-speak;

Hausfather said the behaviour of the climate had become more erratic and harder to forecast. [Last year] defied expectations so much that it’s hard to have as much confidence in the approaches we have used to make these predictions in the past,” he said (…)

So while I think these extreme temperatures provide some evidence of an acceleration in the rate of warming in recent years – as climate models expect there to be if CO2 emissions do not fall but aerosols do – it’s not necessarily worse than we thought.

see? nothing to worry about. /s

3 Likes
4 Likes

Yes, it’s gasoline & diesel (electric in the future) but the vehicle is designed to be a working truck and not for showing off how muddy it can get while sitting in a Costco parking lot. It gets the job done while not burning as much fuel with the same (if not more) capacity as those massive showoff trucks and it might see an american release because of our increasing interest in keitoras

6 Likes
9 Likes

Toyota seems to be delivering what I want. :thinking: Now… this, please, in a 4-seater, RAV4 scale vehicle and I’m sold.

4 Likes

Perhaps you mean a 5-seater?

5 Likes

Not when only one person in the fambly is under 6’. That back middle seat doesn’t exist in practice. :grin:

6 Likes

So that’s why I always got stuck in the middle!

Angry Season 9 GIF by Shameless

:thinking: I need to do more research on Toyota’s Beyond Zero, more eco-friendly options.

7 Likes
6 Likes