Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

Cool!

Hope that they are built to withstand hurricanes because they are right in the path of many that have come before.

4 Likes

Hey, designed right, and if we could find decent storage options, imagine the generation you could get going in those winds.

3 Likes
7 Likes

We need a new term referring to someone who prioritizes quarterly profits over the survival of the human race. “Evil” just doesn’t cut it anymore. I understand the rich and ultrarich will be the last to feel the pain, they do not seem to understand that their children and grandchildren will curse them just as we do now. Or they do understand and don’t care.

11 Likes

Currently witnessing the chaos, pain, and in-fighting that occurs when someone dies with that exact mindset. He used to say, whenever someone would offer to help him get his affairs in order: “they’ll figure it out after I’m gone”. No sense of wanting to do things the right way. Live for today, and let my kids deal with the consequences. It makes my blood boil.

9 Likes

When a sow eats it’s young is it evil? Does it care if you call it evil? Does it care if one piglet runs off to curse its name later? They’re nothing special really and evil is generally assumed to be more about intent than consequence. They’re just whatever people become when they don’t have any established social pressure try to be something better and/or they were able to avoid that kind of responsibility somehow. “I’ll get mine then, to hell with anything else.” When avarice becomes a virtue, what use are words like “evil” anymore anyway? Ugh… and all the while the floods will keep on coming.

2 Likes
1 Like

https://www.nature.com/scitable/knowledge/library/soil-carbon-storage-84223790

5 Likes

Y U no one-box? Anyway:

OPEC’s secretary-general has complained of what he called “unscientific” attacks on the oil industry by climate change campaigners, calling them “perhaps the greatest threat to our industry going forward”.

Speaking in Vienna after a meeting of the oil producers’ club and its partners, Mohammed Barkindo said that as extreme weather events linked to the climate crisis became more common, “there is a growing mass mobilisation of world opinion… against oil”.

He’s got that right.

indep-day-times-up

Happy Independence Day.

6 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

Thread:

In some places trees are a non-native invasive species.

3 Likes

Dense forests in the temperate regions are, as I understand it, a fairly recent development, like since the decline of the megafauna. Mastodons and giant ground sloths and such maintained a more open character to the native woodlands than what we see now.

Yeah, I really am that nerdy.

8 Likes

You probably know of the father and son and team working to create Pleistocene Park and operating on that theory. (They’re cited in the paper – which I only skimmed.)

4 Likes

This is where the deextinction effort on the mammoths might actually be worthwhile.

2 Likes

DC has a monsoon season now.

Heavy rains almost every day for a week now.

Humid AF

eta: 3.5 inches of rain

7 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

Meanwhile, in Mississippi:

… or, what happens when ocean temperatures rise, acidify, and there’s is massive anoxic [dead] zone?

https://www.noaa.gov/media-release/noaa-forecasts-very-large-dead-zone-for-gulf-of-mexico

As long as I am focusing here on water, I need to remind myself that too much of it is bad and too little is bad also. Watched this news video from The Guardian and oh man it’s deeper than you’d imagine a 12-minute video has a right to be, and it’s poetic… and it’s hard climate change news for the precariat–the people of Ethiopia:

This is a really well done piece of reporting, and I am struck at the beauty in it, not just the who what where when how of it. It’s cinematic, and I mean that in the best possible way.

7 Likes

Ach das tut mir sehr leid!

Wow–that’s hotter than Texas even during some of the bad summers, and I am really sorry to hear it!

How are you doing?
What are you doing to stay cool?

1 Like