Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

The latest attempt by the ruling class to blame climate change on petty individual behaviour:

Reminder:

9 Likes
1 Like

Today’s Waterman Butterfly view.

4 Likes

Katrina still seems fresh in my mind…

Stay safe, NOLA!

5 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

barry is getting huge; this is 2 hours ago (german time 07:00 am, should be 01:00 am local time)

4 Likes

While Americans feel “an increasing alarm” about climate change, according to a survey conducted by the Yale Program on Climate Change Communication, scientists have been coping with this troubling data for decades—and the grinding emotional effects from that research are another cost of global warming that the public has yet to fully confront. Before you ask, there is no scientific consensus regarding the impact of climate research on the scientists performing it. It hasn’t been studied in a systematic way.

9 Likes

Even without that, it was going to be rough, as the all the flooding happening up river already had the the Mississippi well above normal (the highest since 1950!), and they still have not really fixed all the problems with the levy system from Katrina… No pun intended, this is the perfect storm for disaster…

6 Likes

Trippy Barry Visualization:

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis/online/loop.asp?data_folder=loop_of_the_day/goes-16/20190712000000&number_of_images_to_display=150&loop_speed_ms=50

1 Like

luckily we were wrong; this time…

meanwhile, in the arctic

I wonder if the record low of 2012 gets already beaten this year

1 Like

Meanwhile, in the arctic part two:

The small community of Alert, Nunavut is the most northern permanently inhabited region on the planet and they have officially entered uncharted waters. On July 14 Alert shattered their previous record high temperature when they reached 21°C, which is one degree higher than their previous record of 20°C in 1956

This is in fact, the first time a temperature warmer than 20° has been measured north of 80° on the planet.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/most-northern-tip-of-canadian-arctic-alert-nunvaut-reaches-21-degrees

and about this “lets plant a trillion trees to save us all”:

But we must not fall for illusions about how many billions of tons of CO2 this will take out of the atmosphere. And certainly not for the illusion that this will buy us time before abandoning fossil fuel use. On the contrary, we need a rapid end to fossil energy use precisely because we want to preserve the world’s existing forests

6 Likes
7 Likes

According to some guy cop on BBC Radio 4’s Today on the 17th July, Extinction Rebellion are “A hardcore anarchist group that want to break up [UK] democracy” (starting at 1:33:00)

5 Likes

(XR is talking about acton at the airport; that’ll get TPTB upset.)

(I listened. That cop guy starts by making XR’s case for them.) (Also, Rupert Read was on, either later in the show or on a later day – I heard that on YouTube – and I’m happy to hear the radio host gave them both an equally hard time.)

(Here are a couple XR videos on YouTube that talk about the theory behind their actions. The cop guy, Richard Walton, refers to these. It’s not like these are hard to find. Walton says the larger XR agenda is “obscured from public life”, but that’s completely false. XR strategist Roger Hallam says you have to be willing to disrupt, then get arrested, and then say why you’re doing it, all necessary for effective action and social change. It’s right there in the videos, and doing this openly is an explicit part of the plan. Videos follow.)

3 Likes

BBC interviews can be like that, although they have had a habit of throwing soft ball questions at right wingers in the last 10 years. To be clear, if I was going for a current affairs interview, I would expect tough but fair questioning, and I want it for other people too. Anything else and the interviewer isn’t doing their job.

6 Likes

Among the most notable was the CO2 Coalition, a group founded in 2015 to spread the “good news” about a greenhouse gas

“Good news” is literally the term used by bible humpers spreading the gospel.

All the science in the world won’t convince these people, and as things get worse, it’ll only be confirmation that these are the end times, with Republican Jesus just around the corner.

3 Likes
8 Likes

There’s no beach left, plus birds that normally aren’t present, are. It’s great that the birds are being protected, but it’s another reminder that everything is going to be upended by climate change:

6 Likes