Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

Here’s another event canceled.

(Weather isn’t climate, but this is the kind of weather extreme made more likely and more common)

Many, though, agreed that given the punishing conditions of the triathlon, that organizers should consider moving the date of the event to the spring or fall.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Very cool drone application:

“These drones use “seed missiles” to plant up to 400,000 trees a day.”

3 Likes

The modern Johnny Appleseed!

4 Likes

Sacre bleu!

4 Likes

And Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands too.

Britain has confirmed that it is at least the second hottest day on record here, and I have seen claims that
Ashford in Kent has reached 39C which will also be a record if the Met Office confirms it.

4 Likes

The alltime record of 2015 was beaten today with more than 2 degree above it, 42.6 °C. and 41 °C on multiple locations.

4 Likes
7 Likes

That’s pretty great! (I hope they have plans to sustain them.)

4 Likes

thats all pretty neat and fine, and I belive Ethiopia is one of the few countries which takes this topic actually serious (not like india, where actions like their glorified “we planted 60 million trees in 2017” are mostly greenwashing for their ongoing eviroment-destruction on very large scales), but actually it doesnt mean shit when you do the math;

how much of these trees will survive the next 10 years? how many different species of trees were planted (780 tree species have been found in a 10 hectare plot of Malaysian rainforest – more than the total number of tree species native to the US and Canada)?

and as goes for rainforest, you actually cant “reforest” a rainforest, once its gone, it gone.

I dont want to sound depressive, but compare these numbers with the actual loss of old, over centuries and centuries grown forests and their trees, this seems rather futile as long as the cutting of old, naturaly grown forests isnt entirely stopped. any idea how much trees were lost alone last year through deforestation in brazil? about 1 to 1.5 billion!. worldwide estimated loss each year because of us around 3 to 7 billion! each. fucking. year.

1 Like

Well, 200 million trees that were not there before. I’ll take it.

It was in Cambridge, not Ashford, but this is the official Met Office measurements.

3 Likes

tenor%20(95)

2 Likes

thats the thing; there were.

2 Likes

Ok. Now that’s astounding.Is there more data for July now?

3 Likes

Yep. Doesn’t look like there’s been a single day since the June melt spike that’s been below the 30-year median.

5 Likes

Although 2019 looks fairly typical for the last ten years and 2012 was much, much worse. Still terrifying, though.

1 Like

speaking of 2012…

1 Like

I’m very happy to see someone influential making this point. (I’d rather see a norm of one, but still.)

3 Likes

As he is a royal, I think that he is expected to have “the heir and the spare” even though he was the spare himself.

ETA: I’m still not convinced that Neo-Malthusian population control is anything other than an attempt to shift the blame from rich capitalists to poor workers.

12 Likes