Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

6 Likes

To which we all reply:

Episode 8 Showtime GIF by Shameless

Frustrated Here We Go GIF by Sesame Street

8 Likes
8 Likes

Not just Texas

9 Likes

I am baffled by people who act like this is something unexpected, new and unusual. It is exactly what is expected. The fact that asshole politicians want to ban the discussion of the underlying causes does not change them. This is the hottest we have ever been, and at the same time, the coolest we will ever be. And I hate it a lot.

10 Likes

In that case, AI sure as fuck isn’t going to help in the battle.

5 Likes

Somehow I can’t help but envision

5 Likes

… heat index of 124° forecast for Clarksdale

5 Likes

aaaand its the fourteenth consecutive month (or the 15th? gonna loose track here);

1 Like

… the National Weather Service seems to use the terms “heat index” and “apparent temperature” interchangeably

apptemp

3 Likes

What if it never ends?

1 Like
7 Likes

~54°C saunas have doors, planets not so much…

6 Likes

… heat index of 115° in Shreveport, La.

3 Likes

We hit 109o F heat index in the Shenendoah Valley today. This ain’t normal, but I guess it is now…

Shit…

8 Likes

… how was it?

Could you stay inside the whole time?

4 Likes

Yes, but the AC froze up at the office and we just got it running again. It was sweltering hot for most of the afternoon, but at least we were not out in the sunshine!

7 Likes

Talking about extreme averages concerning weather (not climate):

Well, that was wet:

But this was more wet. On average;

(Feel free to use deepl.xom to translate, or whatever other service you like.)

3 Likes

over the past ten years, rather below average yearly rainfall quantities were observed
(“Während der vergangenen zehn Jahre wurden eher unterdurchschnittliche jährliche Niederschlagssummen beobachtet”)

thats our beloved “centric” media like “ZEIT”; most of those years rainfalls were not just “below average” but were full blown drought years.

2 Likes

Replacing citrus groves with sources of renewable energy and vegan protein? MoRon will have a cow!!

7 Likes