Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

The business of government is certain kinds of business! The ones that give him money.

6 Likes
10 Likes

“And water’s going to still find a way out,” Montalto said. “It might pop up through catch basins or through manholes, and you might see something that looks like a geyser in the street with sewage kind of spewing up in the street. It might back up into sewer traps in people’s basements.”

5 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes

53.3°C I can sit on a steam room for about 30mins…

In other news:

3 Likes

… is it more apocalyptic to have a heat index of 116° in one place or 114° in three places

4 Likes

This isn’t a game that I want to play.

7 Likes
6 Likes

Work like this is crucial as the world’s glaciers are melting fast—all together they are currently losing more mass than the Greenland or Antarctic ice sheets, and thinning rates of these glaciers worldwide has doubled over the past two decades.

But “it’s just a theory.” Sigh…

6 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

Copernicus: June 2024 marks 12th month of global temperature reaching 1.5°C above pre-industrial

5 Likes

Most of the country has seen little or no rain in months. Now, as the islands prepare to host summer tourists, the strain on water supplies has rarely been heavier, officials, farmers and scientists said.

6 Likes

Is it a good thing that we are back down to only 1.5o C above the preindustrial mean? I mean, that is less than we have been in nearly a year, right? sigh…

5 Likes

Tourists still flock to Death Valley amid searing US heat wave blamed for several deaths - Associated Press

“I was excited it was going to be this hot,” said Drew Belt, a resident of Tupelo, Mississippi, who wanted to stop in Death Valley as the place boasting the lowest elevation in the U.S. on his way to climb California’s Mount Whitney. “It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Kind of like walking on Mars.”

:man_facepalming:

3 Likes