Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

… of course 1850-1900 isn’t exactly “pre” industrial :thinking:

I guess before that nobody had thermometers

3 Likes

It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

There is a particular point in our lifetime we can only hit once, but I wouldn’t call it an opportunity. Meanwhile Death Valley will keep getting this hot and worse. I’m worried for the pupfish, which have the smallest range of any vertebrate.

2 Likes

and compared to the DV, las vegas itself isnt that far off to it anymore;

on Sunday, Las Vegas hit an all-time high of 120F (48.8C)

5 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

Had to look those up.

Doesn’t look good for them.

2 Likes

In the Lake Havasu area, temperatures over the past week have hit triple digits, reaching as high as 120 degrees Fahrenheit, according to the National Weather Service.

No indication that the parents did anything wrong, other than being outside in 120o F temps. We will see more of this, with the very young and very old being the most vulnerable as they are least able to control their temperature in extreme conditions. Damn…

6 Likes

Given the increasing number of floods, I shudder to think of what climate change is doing to crops worldwide and the number of people suffering due to famine.

5 Likes

Apparently they left the baby alone on the boat while they went swimming.

7 Likes
2 Likes

well, to be outside with an infant on open water at 49C, is imho quite wrong in itself.

and those who are exploited through the “economics” of the system;

“But workers are compelled to be in the heat. They have to work or they lose their livelihood. This speaks to a wider dynamic: power and money determine your vulnerability to climate change.”

3 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes

TL;dr   ≥32°C is too hot :hot_face:

3 Likes

“This is a testament to the gravity of ongoing climate change,”

So just how long has the author of the report, Surendra Adhikari, been waiting to use that line? :thinking: Relatively long, I’d guess… :grin:

2 Likes

Here in upstate NY, we’re not known for tornados but we’ve had several touchdown in the area in the past 2 weeks–more than I’ve ever experienced in my 15 years of living here. One hit downtown Rome, NY this afternoon with 79 mph winds and caused considerable damage. Tornado touchdown in Rome: Photos of the aftermath

6 Likes

The remnants of Hurricane Beryl passed through Southern Ontario last Wednesday. That was a really wet day. That and the following 5 days were the 10th wettest on record, with Monday seeing our first real problem day in 16 years with water at our house. Yesterday 98mm of rain fell, as measured at the airport; lots of people in my neighbourhood saw their first wet basements ever. My best guess is that we’ve seen about 250mm or 10 inches of rain this week all together. (Edit: neighbour’s rain gauge agrees with that. :persevere: Average around here is 77mm in all July.)

The Greater Toronto Area had a lot of flooding, even after the updates made after the 2013 storm.

Not as destructive as elsewhere, for sure, but Southern Ontario has been climate change heaven so far.

:thinking: (Except for the White Walkers in the winter and the Northern Migratory Gators in the water in summer, the giant Musky and Snapping Turtles, and bears and cougars eating most of our children, that is, in case you were thinking of moving here…)

4 Likes

In the South the pace has quickened further, jumping from about 1.7 millimeters a year at the turn of the 20th century to at least 8.4 millimeters by 2021, according to a 2023 study published in Nature Communications based on tidal gauge records from throughout the region. In Pensacola, a beachy community on the western side of the Florida Panhandle, the rate soared to roughly 11 millimeters a year by the end of 2021.

These numbers are just terrifying for the folks down there. I wonder how many believe them?

9 Likes
5 Likes