Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

… of course 1850-1900 isn’t exactly “pre” industrial :thinking:

I guess before that nobody had thermometers

3 Likes

It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

There is a particular point in our lifetime we can only hit once, but I wouldn’t call it an opportunity. Meanwhile Death Valley will keep getting this hot and worse. I’m worried for the pupfish, which have the smallest range of any vertebrate.

2 Likes

and compared to the DV, las vegas itself isnt that far off to it anymore;

on Sunday, Las Vegas hit an all-time high of 120F (48.8C)

5 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

Had to look those up.

Doesn’t look good for them.

2 Likes

In the Lake Havasu area, temperatures over the past week have hit triple digits, reaching as high as 120 degrees Fahrenheit, according to the National Weather Service.

No indication that the parents did anything wrong, other than being outside in 120o F temps. We will see more of this, with the very young and very old being the most vulnerable as they are least able to control their temperature in extreme conditions. Damn…

6 Likes

Given the increasing number of floods, I shudder to think of what climate change is doing to crops worldwide and the number of people suffering due to famine.

5 Likes

Apparently they left the baby alone on the boat while they went swimming.

6 Likes
2 Likes

well, to be outside with an infant on open water at 49C, is imho quite wrong in itself.

and those who are exploited through the “economics” of the system;

“But workers are compelled to be in the heat. They have to work or they lose their livelihood. This speaks to a wider dynamic: power and money determine your vulnerability to climate change.”

1 Like
4 Likes