Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

2 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes

Sunday was the hottest day ever recorded on Earth, scientists say

The historic day comes on the heels of 13 straight months of unprecedented temperatures and the hottest year scientists have ever seen.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2024/07/23/hottest-day-ever-recorded-climate-change/

12 Likes
7 Likes
8 Likes

just as a reminder; it may be the hottest day ever, but the disturbing part is that it wasnt even the day which exeeded the current warming of these last 13 months. that was last year in november;

(+2C pre-industrial climatology 1850-1900)

this “hottest” day last sunday was “only” ~ +1.61C.

3 Likes

I’ve always said that Phoenix, AZ, is the most hate-filled place I’ve ever lived - and i lived ther 20 years, so it’s not like i was just passing through.

there are many, many excellent, freindly people there, but they all tend to leave at some point. i would agree, anecdotally, that it is the constant heat that is melting brains and making people unhappy and angry.

6 Likes
7 Likes
9 Likes
3 Likes
9 Likes
4 Likes
7 Likes

and then came monday (last datapoint shown july 22, 17.15C);

fuck.

5 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

Southwest Airlines deals with exploding soda cans caused by intense summer heat

4 Likes

And Danielle Smith, the premier of Alberta who wants to double the province’s oil production over the next 25 years, got very emotional about Jasper as though fossil fuels were an unrelated subject.

Duran Duran Table Flip GIF

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

8 Likes

A reminder that Democracy is not the only reason to vote for Harris:

9 Likes