Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

5 Likes
8 Likes
6 Likes

Vermont has experienced four flooding events in the last year, due to a combination of the climate crisis and the state’s mountainous geography, said Peter Banacos, science and operations officer with the weather service.

6 Likes
6 Likes
2 Likes

actually, I dont think it will make much difference at this point and if you look at the fineprint;

and that Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) introduced in 2021 as part of the negotiations that saw the Biden administration’s proposed “Build Back Better” legislation morph into the Inflation Reduction Act. That’s thanks to major changes to the CCS tax credit known as 45Q, which started out in 2008 paying $10 for every metric ton of carbon sequestered and now pays as much as $85 per metric ton, and up to $60 per ton stored and then used for EOR. Suddenly, EOR is CCS and CCS is profitable

and what is EOR you ask?

According to Exxon’s own disclosures and an analysis conducted by IEEFA in 2022, only around 3 percent of the carbon captured there (roughly 6 million tonnes) has been permanently sequestered underground. Of the rest of the 240 million tonnes of carbon emitted over the facility’s first 35 years in operation, half has been sold to various oilfield operators for enhanced oil recovery, or EOR — a process by which oil companies inject carbon underground to get more oil out — and approximately 120 million tonnes has been vented into the atmosphere

oops.

“[The carbon capture tax credit] 45Q is not based on net climate benefit or net CO2 reductions, it’s based on gross CO2 capture,” Blackburn, the environmental lawyer, said. “Why would you think making carbon a commodity would reduce CO2 emissions? It’s like the opposite of carbon tax, we’re actually paying them to produce more of it.

2 Likes

… mid-80s here right now, just right IMO

supposed to be heat index >100° tomorrow :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Just as I had been wondering :thinking: “with the mind-bending temperature excursion in the Atlantic, I was expecting more storms”, the CBC has the answer…

“Whenever there’s a period of quiet activity in the atmosphere, whether it’s tropical storms or winter storms, usually that means there’s energy building up somewhere in the ocean atmosphere system,”

9 Likes

keenly aware of this factor here in the keys. Saharan dust has reliably kept the tropics calm for us for several years now - at least in the early season. this year’s dust pattern may have saved us from a more northerly path of hurricane Beryl in June.
the dust tends to settle in the late season and we know, here, that late August and early September are our most dangerous months.
the only downside to all that dust, blowing across this particular stretch of the north Atlantic, is that it drops out in the crossing, feeding the vast rafts of sargassum that will eventually foul beaches from here to Panama! stinky heaps of rotting seaweed all over popular beaches.
oh, well, tourists go home!

10 Likes

5 Likes
7 Likes

Robert Reich’s points about economic growth vs. managing natural resources and fighting climate change:

:clap:t4:

6 Likes

aaand… we’re under tropical storm watch. got several alerts from the automated Monroe county system. heavy rains, coastal flooding, marine advisories, nothing too dangerous… yet. if it does spin up, it will be TS Debby. looks like it has Key West in the path.
we could use the rain.

12 Likes

Stay safe!!!

10 Likes

Needles dethrones Phoenix as hottest US city in July

5 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes

Keep yourself safe, @FloridaManJefe!

9 Likes

TS Debby is still 100 miles SW of Key West and moving NNW toward the gulf. KW is getting a lot of rain right now and we here in the upper keys are getting passing bands of strong rainfall, but no major winds (gusts <40mph).
we have been through much worse.
my thoughts go out to those folks on the Florida Bend area, where the threat is for a cat1 hurricane to spin up over the warm waters of the gulf, after skirting the keys and SW gulf coast.
still nothing to trifle with.
we are secure - here.
i still say, we need the rain!

thank you all for your concern. i believe this will be much worse for those up north on the mainland.

12 Likes