Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

Young Sheldon What Could Go Wrong GIF by CBS

5 Likes

Amazingly this picture is not manipulated.

8 Likes

A solution for global warming

12 Likes

9 Likes

Every couple of years somebody comes up with this brilliant idea. Again.
And it always has a whiff of “didn’t quite think it through completely”.
I think some of the more current proposals have been mentioned in this thread since 2017.

5 Likes

didnt know b52s fuel is coal. jfc.

3 Likes

which benefits? keeping the fossil party going? cause thats how its most likely will play out with intentional geoengineering, especialy if it works as intended without serious side effects

he certainly is.

2 Likes

He is not laughing.

serious the simpsons GIF

3 Likes

At this rate they’ll finally need to get a navy

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/austria-battles-major-flooding-after-record-downpours-2024-08-18/

2 Likes

When there is a large scale training event at Barksdale AFB the exhaust clouds show up on the weather satellite

8 Likes
5 Likes

melted

4 Likes

Well AksHuaLLy Austria-Hungary (and Austria before it) had a fairly decent navy

6 Likes

And this is why when you do research on WW II, you find so many pictures of that asshole Miklós Horthy wearing an admiral’s uniform.

There is a tiny bit of Austrian naval history that stretches into this millennium; from 1958 to 2006 the Bundesheer had a couple of boats patrolling the Danube. But that was mainly a Cold War thing that had become obsolete in the 1990.

Fun fact: one of the largest merchant marines in the world flies the Swiss flag.

3 Likes
6 Likes
15 Likes

wow. that seems pretty significant. a quick calculation, give an average weight of a human brain is ~ 1350 grams x 0.5% = 6.75 grams of plastic garbage knockin’ around in a noggin.
my head is already too full of shit. i don’t have room for another 6.75 grams!

10 Likes

I have been saying for the last couple decades that we seem bound and determined to make a world incapable of supporting human life. This certainly fits that pattern.

Sad Miss You GIF by Pudgy Penguins

10 Likes

no shit. thats actually insane. if this number would show up in a dystopian sf-movie, I would call the screenplay too far-fetched for my taste. fuck!

3 Likes

Haven’t deep-dived into the links in the article yet. A thought provoking (USA-focused) read so far.

6 Likes