Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

One thing I would argue though: celebs (especially white ones) face far fewer consequences in being arrested. They aren’t running much risk of getting fired or not being able to get hired again, afterwards. They usually have the money and connections to make the worst of it go away.

Not that I am saying they shouldn’t protest or get arrested for what they believe in. Just that the calculus is different.

What might also be a good helper would be to fund some lawyers who are less overworked than your average PD to defend people arrested. Help them to understand what their rights really are before they’re arrested, then let them know they have backing and not be pressured into signing the first thing the cops shove in front of them.

4 Likes

Totally agree. But they can also bring greater attention to issues, as well.

Sure. I’d bet that many do this. But not all actors, even ones who are relatively well known, are wealthy, of course. For them getting directly involved might be a better option. I know that Fonda is most certainly well off, but she also has been an activist since the 1960s.

Although with regards to understanding their rights, I suspect most organizations that work on contentious issues do a decent job of informing and training their members of such things. There is a long history of civil rights organizations doing training for their members (especially those practicing non-violent resistance), and that’s been a continued tradition in most rights/protest organizations since then.

3 Likes

Wow, The amount of waste is just staggering.

1 Like
2 Likes
4 Likes
11 Likes

Narrator: He did not think it was fine.

4 Likes
10 Likes

I’m down with this. Let me know when and where.

5 Likes

Standard elevation measurements using satellites struggle to differentiate the true ground level from the tops of trees or buildings, said one of the paper’s authors. So [they] used [algorithms] to determine the error rate and correct for it.

The authors conclude that in many areas, including many low-lying coastal cities, the ground is lower and thus will flood sooner than previously estimated.

Check out Bangkok and southern Vietnam.

… some 150 million people are now living on land that will be below the high-tide line by midcentury.

4 Likes

right. again.

2 Likes
12 Likes
4 Likes

I really do love how she just tells it like it is…

sailor-moon-cute

7 Likes

http://huffpost.com/entry/couple-face-masks-wedding-photo-california-wildfire_n_5db9a5c6e4b066da552a4e16

7 Likes
10 Likes

LOL that’s very good. :slight_smile:

4 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes