Florida boaters find $1 million worth of cocaine in ocean — but it's the coke's label art that's interesting (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/19/florida-boaters-find-1-million-worth-of-cocaine-in-ocean-but-its-the-cokes-label-art-thats-interesting-video.html

8 Likes

“So, what do you do for a living?”
“I’m an illustrator for drug packages.”

17 Likes

I would suspect it is some kind of branding and sign of quality control. Given the extreme fungibility of drugs on the black market, you some sort of sign to stand out. Paying someone to illustrate something shows you aren’t cost cutting, it can be used as brand, and possibly serves as a date and origin stamp in a world absent of written down logistics.

End users can be kinda obsessive about these things too. When I was high school the guy I was assigned to sit next to on the bus was an avid raver/ecstasy user. In his notebook with MDMA poetry he also had xeroxed copies of hand drawn pictures and photographs of branded pills. Often with notes on how well they worked and where they likely originated from. He would often show me the pills he got before a rave and was always a bit more skeptical when he would get something that was pressed from a generic pill press. Being in high school he often lamented that he couldn’t pay the premium for pills marked in a certain way.

19 Likes

Freedom Powder?

8 Likes

If the package was deliberately floated off to be collected by another link in the distribution chain, the labels would allow the collection team to confirm that the package was intended for them and they were not inadvertently stealing from another cartel.

15 Likes

@FloridaManJefe, what the hell have you been up to this time?

Oh My God Wow GIF

14 Likes

weren’t me, Pa, no sir!
y’all done taught me better’n ta haul in that square grouper!

19 Likes

Please tell me that’s your band name.

13 Likes

Hey man, if nobody is gonna take it, I’m definitely up for rhythm guitar for Square Grouper as long as we don’t play any Phish covers, and we’re not playing any square dance gigs.

Would also consider playing maracas or triangle, if that’s a thing.

11 Likes

if Square Grouper were a band, they would be a Jimmy Buffet cover band playing a dive tiki bar in Big Pine.

“square grouper” is an unfortunate - and frequent - catch in the keys since the 70s, man!
unfortunate, in that the evolution of the species has morphed from the relatively harmless green variety into the very dangerous white kind.

13 Likes

It looks like lot traceability labeling is a lot cooler on the wrong side of the law.

3 Likes

looks like another labeled brick found in key largo. this time it’s a picture of “Pinky the dog” :thinking:
rival brand?

Link:

(Sent from Local10 News - WPLG)

6 Likes

Do not underestimate the triangle…

I’m somewhat hazy on the details, but the gist is that one of organisers of the SHMF asked whether he could be in the orchestra as well despite not being a musician. (Or something like that.)

1 Like

I’d say, “Why don’t I ever find 65kilos of uncut cocaine”, but it’s probably a good thing I haven’t found 65kilos of uncut cocaine.

duuuuude!
trust me when i say this:
you do not touch! those packs! you could be being watched by either law enforcement or the bad guys who will cut off your fingers before killing you and sinking your boat!
you even have to be extremely careful in how you call this in, if you are using your marine radio. you don’t just hail the open channel and blurt out coordinates, hoping the Coast Guard gets there before the cartel boys do! (there is protocol for hailing CG without disclosing too much, but it can leave you hanging around a hot spot)

it ain’t worth it!

9 Likes

Well, maybe it was the same person that sent these.
We should ask Tom Hanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.