Florida congressperson asks tax assessor to re-examine Mar-A-Lago after Trump claims it is worth $1B

Originally published at: Florida congressperson asks tax assessor to re-examine Mar-A-Lago after Trump claims it is worth $1B | Boing Boing

8 Likes

They just can’t help themselves, can they? What a bunch of maroons.

24 Likes

Expect something along the lines of
“Well it WAS worth over a Billion Dollars. LAST WEEK! Now that the crooked Democrat Judge and the LameStream Media have made it their life goal to drive the value of THE TRUMP BRAND down, it is only worth $18 million again”

23 Likes

OK, so the congressperson is making a joke, but what would Trump do, pay the tax and thus legally admit the property was valued too low? In the court case does that help him or hurt him?

And is the tax assessor going to risk their integrity by fudging it that high for political purposes, either way?

(If the assessor is a loyal Trumpite they might, if they thought it helped Trump.)

9 Likes

I don’t think he’s joking at all.

21 Likes

There’s no reassessment outcome that would be an unmitigated win for Trump. Either they value the property low and prove Judge Engoron right or they value the property high and stick Trump with a dramatically higher tax burden.

The only smart move for Trump was to not say anything that would draw further public attention to the value of Mar-A-Lago and he already screwed that up.

27 Likes

I really think there needs to be a law along the lines of “values stated by the owner over assessed value publicly or in financial documents is used for tax purposes, values under the assessed value publicly stated by the owner or used in tax documents is used for collateral purposes”

Make the lies hurt.

19 Likes

I really can’t tell. Maybe I misread it. I guess I don’t think he legitimately expects the tax assessor to re-value the property.

1 Like

The Mar-a-Lago valuation is just one line item in a long list of inflated asset values Trump made on his SFC documents over the years. The judge has already determined he committed fraud in granting the prosecution’s request for summary judgement so at this point it doesn’t really matter what happens going forward. The ruling also only covers dissolution of the Trump Org business in New York so anything pertaining to Mar-a-Lago is irrelevant to the current case.

10 Likes

I presume it would be some Florida prosecutor’s day job to look into this, and bring evidence of fraud to the DA? But it won’t happen because while Desantis wants Trump gone, he wants someone else to be the one taking him down?

6 Likes

Excited Lets Go GIF

12 Likes

When I saw the headline I thought that it was about a MAGA congressperson who was trying to enable Trump to claim that he had not inflated the value of his properties.

4 Likes

this is why mobsters don’t usually run for president

17 Likes

Trump, getting sweaty: I think we still have a couple of moves we can…

Tax assessor:

checkmate

7 Likes

Same here.

Then I read the rest, saw it was a Democrat, had a weird zen koan moment.

5 Likes

Well it was worth a billion, inclusive of the state secrets locked in the bathroom. Those goshdarn Dems are tanking Florida real estate values.

7 Likes

“The only smart move for Trump was to not say anything”

200w

11 Likes

One valuation offered for their weird supper club and illegal document storage facility in Florida was over $1B. Certainly, Eric insists, it is worth $490.

$490? Still overvalued.

9 Likes

Is it not one of the properties held by his NY real estate holding company?

10 Likes

Trump has said under oath his valuation of his own net worth changes with his mood. The bank just happened to find him on a day when Mar-a-Lago was worth $1 billion, and the tax man just happened to find him on a day when it was worth $18 million. Math has a well-known liberal bias!

9 Likes