Florida cop handcuffs and arrests a 6-year-old girl for throwing a temper tantrum

Right. I can’t offer a how but I can definitely say it needs to have been handled better.

But in this case, at the start of the video, the kid already seems to have calmed down. She’s not out of control, she’s not actively hitting/kicking/biting anyone.

Really terrible all around.

4 Likes

Jesus, America. What the fuck is wrong with you?

6 Likes

This is a side effect of charter schools and alternative licensing requirement laws. They actually teach us about the laws relating to children in teacher licensing programs, and teach even more in administrative licensing courses. MBAs, high school graduates, and random friends of the person running the charter school, are NOT taught the laws regarding children. Nor, apparently, common sense.

6 Likes

What is taught to police is that force works, perp’s injuries heal, and the union will back you if they don’t.

It is not complicated. Humans are capable of being clicked trained.

2 Likes

I can hear it now - “The video doesn’t show the whole story, you don’t know what happened before.”

4 Likes

“She was no angel.”

5 Likes

Happiest Place on Earth, my ass.

Are you stating that your ass is the happiest place on earth? Not sure i can argue with that if you believe it to be true :thinking:

/s

1 Like

If you want to talk about that I’d be very interested to hear more.

1 Like
13 Likes

I sense a bias against charter schools, but this kind of thing (and worse) happens in public schools pretty often, too.

1 Like

This is why a lot of the responses to this incident point out there are too many schools/states with zero tolerance policies for misbehaving students/minors. The only upside of these terrible incidents is that it raises awareness of problems with current laws/regulations so that parents and voters challenge those in authority to make changes.

3 Likes

or a minimum humanity limit either.

4 Likes

Being A Child While Black. Preparing her for a lifetime of unfortunate interactions with the police, I guess. Charter schools are amazing!

/s

3 Likes

Well, I find that mine is at least the most comfortable place to sit! (But only for me. Nobody else is invited to sit upon it.)

1 Like

Time_to_act

1m

How can there be any justification for arresting a baby? This is indicative of the level of incompetency that permeates every level of society nowadays. This moron, the school counselor and the police department that hired this idiot should be held accountable

2 Likes

Omgosh, I’m between heartbroken for the child and absolutely enraged!!! I have an incredible 6 year old grandgirl and just can’t even imagine this happening to her. Sadly, she has a lot of instability & chaos in her life right now & I have seen her in frustration act out. They don’t know how to process all that they are feeling at 6 years old. My gosh, this child has been traumatized for life! She’ll never trust law enforcement, educators & possibly family depending on what may or may not be going on at home. I absolutely want to bring her into my home and keep her safe.

I still struggle to understand why it’s not a part of teacher training to learn to be able to handle difficult kids being, well, difficult. (I know they learn psychology and whatnot, but from what I know they lack actual hands-on training.) I’m not saying it’s all their responsibility of course, and in some cases the situation does go beyond the control of one person who also needs to deal with the rest of the class/kids present, not just the one going out of control. But calling the cops should not be the go-to solution in case of a very young kid (six years old!!!) behaving badly.

Then again, I’m pretty sure that in many of these cases the reasoning behind calling the cops is to scare the kid into behaving, and to show them the consequences of “being bad”… which is just infuriatingly misguided and cruel.

1 Like

It is. However, there’s no magical incantation that will work in all cases. Sometimes kids get out of control, and something needs to be done that is more assertive than simple verbal remonstration, especially if the acting out includes the child hitting other children. If the teacher touches the child that could be grounds for a lawsuit, against the teacher or the school or both. If they call in the parents (which I assume they did) then how long will that take, and what do you do in the meantime?

Arresting the kid is no solution, it doesn’t make any sense at all. I wouldn’t even call it a last resort, you just should not do it. However, in the fraction of cases where nothing in the teacher’s toolkit works, calling someone in from the outside is not a surprising next step. Sometimes there is simply no good outcome to a situation.

3 Likes