Florida county commissioners against renewal of library's New York Times subscription because it's "fake news"

Wasn’t Citrus County also the place that had the Middle school teacher with a Nazi podcast?

This latest incident only confirms that Citrus County really sucks!

4 Likes

See also: “Deep State”

4 Likes

We shall see. Public pressure has some power, as does idiot-shaming. Another reason the right wants to control the media.

7 Likes

There’s still a lot of NYC retirees in Florida, I’d imagine.

Besides Trump.

7 Likes

So, its like Oklahoma then?

Actually, much of the midwest too

1 Like

Goddamn, there is some lunacy running rampant in this country.

2 Likes

But with its own Florida spin…it really has its own unique brand of crazy.

Like, I can get a really shitty slice of pizza at a gas station, but if I get it out of the dumpster out back of the gas station…well, that’s Florida.

3 Likes

So they must have a comprehensive list of fake news stories published by the NYT that they used to make this decision. I sure would like to see that list so I can make my own judgement.

Either that or they’re just blindly accepting whatever the president or Fox news tells them despite both of those parties having selfish incentives (one ideological, the other business) to undercut something like the Times.

2 Likes

Luckily they are still supplying Breitbart subscriptions to all employees.

1 Like

The New York Times brings fake news to the library? I heard they have a whole section on Fiction.

1 Like

Florida county commissioners against renewal of library’s New York Times subscription because it’s “fake news”

To be fair, it’s not just people on the right who are constantly complaining about NYT’s coverage of Trump.

1 Like

Yes. What distinguishes people on the right is that their first impulse is censorship (the real kind).

4 Likes

If this was the story you’re thinking of, then yes.

5 Likes

On one wall, sure. But on the other, there is The 700 Club.

2 Likes

You can’t be retired if you’ve never worked a day in your life.

1 Like

Hey, grifters work hard at their craft.

I saw him work hard to be a jerk to random kids Trick-or-Treating just last week.

1 Like

Unintentionally appropriate bad ad placement . . .

2 Likes

I call it the Incel Mating Call.

Afterward, two commissioners [Brian Coleman and Jeff Kinnard] who hadn’t spoken up during the meeting told the Citrus County Chronicle that they worried that agreeing to pay for the Times would lead to requests for subscriptions to more “radical publications."

They have a point. Nearly every publication is more radical than they NYT.

1 Like