Florida county commissioners against renewal of library's New York Times subscription because it's "fake news"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/05/florida-county-commissioners-a.html

5 Likes

Hind end must still be smarting from the when the Gray Lady published confederate naval maneuvers during the “War of Northern Aggression”.

26 Likes

floridabb

37 Likes

The next step in this part of Ameristan: all libraries will have Fox News blaring from screens in the periodicals section.

32 Likes

Truth with American characteristics.

18 Likes

Saying “Fake news!” has become synonymous with blurting out “I’m a friggin’ idiot!”

55 Likes

I hate to promote a stereotype, but SHHHHHHHHHH!!!

16 Likes

Somebody start that library a GoFundMe or A Kickstarter…

13 Likes

Oh Florida, how you never disappoint.

9 Likes

That does seem awfully pricey though. NYT should just donate the subscriptions

6 Likes

Oof this is the county just west of me.

I can’t say I’m completely surprised, but just remember that despite all the examples like this you read that this state is still very evenly split. For example in the 2018 senate race the margin of victory was 10,033 votes out of 8.19 million votes cast.

Of course the GOP candidate was an outright criminal (Rick Scott) so that cuts against my argument somewhat.

8 Likes

Citrus County commissioners: serving Kool Aid and only Kool Aid

4 Likes

Privitize those communist public libraries and make them like sports bar/comfort food restaurants with TVs covering all the walls, showing right-wing news programs and mega-church pleas for money.

11 Likes

What a bunch of lamestains

" We are ignorant and we want to stay that way" is how this reads to me.

13 Likes

" We are ignorant and we want to stay that way" is how this reads to me.

although thats the end result, its more like… "anything that contradicts my firmly held beliefs with things I rufuse to consider as facts, even if evidence backs up those facts, shall forever be stricken from the record. I am not here to have debates I am here to have FAITH.

13 Likes

Me: That sounds awful.

Them: And we have all you can eat hot wings.

Me: Curses!

5 Likes

The next Banned Books Week will be interesting.

9 Likes

4 subscriptions is $2080 per year.

Digital is much, much cheaper.

7 Likes

Florida’s gonna Florida. Greed is king, meth’s a staple, education takes a back seat to everything…and Trump loves it. It’s the epitome of idiocracy.

4 Likes