Florida family, including kids and pregnant mom, sickened by LSD-tainted beef

2 Likes

Cones are hard to roll, man. Can I not have a bowl of shame?

I’ve never heard of a conscious person being intubated. I’m not even sure it’s possible. Can you imagine jamming a tube down the airway of an awake individual and then ventilating him? Especially if he’s tripping? No way.

It happens very frequently. The thing is that conscious people, whether or not they have airways functioning at oxygenation capacity, really don’t like being intubated. That is to say that in order to intubate a person with a compromised airway, you often have to knock them out in order to get rid of their gag reflex and a bit of their compulsion to take breaths (counterproductive, since you have a bag doing it for you).

The idea is that you overuse intubation a bit - it’s better to intubate a bunch of people who might not need it than it is to wind up losing someone on your table because you didn’t think they needed it, and by the time your anaes/intern/doc whatever can slip the tube in the right place (much much harder than you might think) they are already in risk of brain death by deoxygenation.

4 Likes

I reckon it’d be pretty fucking difficult.

Unspecified ergotic metabolites? That’s very vague, probably also because far too little research into the metabolic pathways of lysergenic compounds has been done.

I don’t know of any evidence whatsoever that suggests that ergot metabolites retain much psychoactivity or toxicity especially after sitting in a steak (full of intracellular enzymes) and then being subjected to high heat. If you know of something like that, please please please link me, because that’s straight up fascinating.

It’s Occam’s Razor, I think. It’s far more likely, in my mind, that something happened that has very little to do with ergotamine derivatives, because the story I have to make up in my head to provide that possibility becomes a lot less probable every time you look at the chemistry.

I think the likely chemical culprit almost has to be something else. I haven’t seen the tox report personally, and I don’t know how they assayed, so I can’t say for sure. We’re talking about a remarkably fragile compound which experiences all sorts of denaturation (though I guess that’s protein terminology) through literally every phase of the metabolic process.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor or a chemist. I’m currently in college for that kind of thing, but I could be totally wrong here.

There are some scary-ass hallucinogens of a PIKHAL bent that can do awful shit in high doses, mind. I wouldn’t like to be OD’ing on any of the 2C’s for sure. I reckon accidental OD, or malicious spiking’s not off the table.

LSD is water soluble. It breaks down in the liver, rapidly.

@SeeChao

LSD takes no more than 30 minutes to kick in

Well from experience I can tell you that is incorrect. Anywhere between 20 minutes to about an hour 20 is more like my experience.

According to Erowid > Onset - Depending on how much and how recently one has eaten food, LSD generally takes 20 - 60 minutes (though sometimes as long as 2 hrs) to take effect.

I’m certainly in the “bullshit, until proven otherwise” camp on this story. Unfortunately, just like in Australia where some kid “overdosed and died on LSD”, the truth (in that case, the drug was not LSD at all) will be a little article on page 4 of some local newspaper, whilst the OMG PEOPLE ARE POISONING PREGNANT WOMEN WITH DANGEROUS LSD will still be filling the first two pages of search results months after the truth comes out.

3 Likes

Tune in, turn on, holy cow!

1 Like

I don’t think you (or many people) understand that LSD is not toxic and is literally unable to shut down any of the body’s vital systems, as far as we know. Intubated is a term that applies to more than just tracheal intubation, but that may have been what was performed.

From the wiki on LSD: There have been no documented human deaths from an LSD overdose. It is physiologically well tolerated and there is no evidence for long-lasting physiological effects on the brain or other parts of the human organism.

I’m not claiming they’re lying (especially since the meat came back positive for LSD) but the story is incredibly fishy, particularly that the onset of the high was different enough that his girlfriend felt normal to the point of being willing to drive to the hospital. Onset time doesn’t tend to vary that much. The other unusual factor here (which suggests these people were targeted) is that no one else has had acid steaks.

As to whether the hospital was right to deliver the baby (the article doesn’t make clear whether they induced birth, which I assume they did), LSD is under pregnancy class C, meaning “Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.” but as @dragonfrog points out the hospital staff had no way of knowing what they were on, especially because, to the patients knowledge, they had not taken anything.

1 Like

I’m sure the police’s positive test for LSD was a simple Ehrlich reagent test. A test notorious for its false positives. It also shows a positive result with the presence of any indole.

Until I see confirmed GC/MS I dont believe this story at all.

4 Likes

I’m disappointed that no-one has yet pointed out that the baby will have the full powers of a Reverend Mother, and that they clearly need to prepare for a visit from the Padishah Emperor.

14 Likes

It’s around man… Where are you at? If you pretty much just go to any bush doof you’ll find plenty if you ask. I agree it’s rare, but hallucinogens are enjoying somewhat of a renaissance lately thanks to ayahuasca. Plus people realised they aren’t as scary as the propaganda made out all these years.

1 Like

Came here to ask why they were eating raw beef that had potentially thousands of dollars worth of LSD poured on it.

& I’ve totally hallucinated my balls off from strep+ induced fevers, thankfully never had food poisoning that bad but don’t doubt it could happen.

3 Likes

At first I was too, but I am no longer totally sure. LSD has a melting point of 80–85 °C, higher than you’d cook a steak at. It would totally have an effect on potency, but if you’ve soaked the suckers in acid solution I can imagine easily enough remaining to get you very high.

2 Likes

I agree that intentional dosing of someone who doesn’t expect it is monstrous.

Right up there with that Nazi Mengele crap. Like our MK Ultra program; utterly unconscionable.

I took 25I-NBOMe and it was fun. Weird though… it was much more relaxing and visually subtle than acid, but my friend who took the same number of tabs at the same time insisted the view from the balcony where we were sitting looked like the view from the bridge of a starship speeding through space. I was just tripping out on the cool shiny patterns in the marble tiles but everything else was otherwise normal looking. Certainly not the bridge of a starship (dammit!)

2 Likes

Yeah… you gotta feel sorry for that kid though. I notice the media started referring to it as “synthetic lsd” when it became apparent it wasn’t acid, whatever that means. In any case the guy who gave it to him had no business setting his friend loose high without some care.

2 Likes

This is an interesting one. LSD flavoured Beef. OK I can think of a couple of ways this can happen and one has already been mentioned. There are natural forms of LSD - in the form of ergot - which I think is a fungus that grows on cereals and is also common to certain grasses (when in seed). It could certailnly affect wheat or rye and infected grains have been responsible for whole villages in France going benango and even many deaths, when their locally baked rye bread sent the town nuts. I know little though, about “grain-fed” beef and I thought it was corn they were fed (??). There is a condition infected cattle get called “the staggers”, If they have been allowed to graze on Paspalum grasses. This pretty much sends the cattle tripping and they get these violent spasms which can cause death if they are not moved to better pasture. Those are a couple of possibilities for tainted meat. Further reading: http://www.stockandland.com.au/news/agriculture/cattle/beef/warning-to-cattle-producers-over-paspalum-staggers/2169772.aspx

cone of shame is something else entirely. Before you get upset that the piece was offered without dissent, that it was offered here is (at least as I see it) a note of dissent.

1 Like