Florida: high school staffer edited 80 yearbook photos of girls to appear more "modest"

Originally published at: Florida: high school staffer edited 80 yearbook photos of girls to appear more "modest" | Boing Boing

8 Likes

The entire run should be re-printed with the original photos at Ms. Irwin’s expense. Call it the Prude Tax.

58 Likes

The pixelated faces in the “After” photos are indeed much more modest.

12 Likes

Wouldn’t it have been easier to just crop the photos?
Even if you’re an entitled, old prude that tries to force your opinions on every one else, why go to the trouble of the awful photoshops?

13 Likes

i’d wager that those who decided that these young women should express their femininity less would whinge horribly if these young women expressed an interest to appear masculine -sigh-

18 Likes

And if she overwrote the original photographs with her censored versions, she should have to pay for new photos to be taken for that reprinted version of the yearbook.

That should be her last involvement with the yearbook (except if she’s still working there next year in which case it’s okay to print her photo in the yearbook like everyone else’s.)

11 Likes

What she did to that plaid shirt is an atrocity.

20 Likes

Pretty sure all of the pixelated faces are from press entities not wanting to distribute faces of minors for a news story. I don’t think they were pixelated in the book.

As for the editing, 1) Completely unnecessary and 2) Done so poorly it is almost comical how inept the job is.

15 Likes

“Worst. Photoshop. Ever. I can totally see the pixels!

6 Likes
5 Likes

I know the staffer’s name appeared in the article, but I got the impression from the article that she acted under direction-- that she may have done the 'shopping but it wasn’t her sole decision to alter the photos, despite the headline.

12 Likes

This high school is right by the Atlantic coast. I would think the administration and every person who might ever view this yearbook would all be quite desensitized to bare skin and minimal clothing. But Florida is gonna Florida!

11 Likes

23 Likes

“It made me feel a little uncomfortable that that’s what they noticed when they looked at our pictures,” she said.

Yeah, this is the takeaway here. None of the children would have been upset if they had left the photos in. But some adults were miffed (at girls only), and now probably all the girls (even the ones who didn’t wear “unacceptable” clothing on picture day) are feeling like they are being leered at by the adults in charge. Well done, administration.

30 Likes

I can’t help but think that making the targets feel uncomfortable would be viewed as a positive result by the perpetrator.

12 Likes

#americantaliban

12 Likes

They could have avoided this whole mess by simply instituting a school uniform.

32 Likes

I don’t understand people who think it was done badly, the problem is that is was done at all. Sure, I could have done a better job drunk with MS Paint but first of all I just would not have done it!!

9 Likes

Well by being done poorly, it draws attention to itself. Nobody can see that “flannel panel,” and not realize that the photo has been altered. Which will in turn lead to speculation that a more significant “wardrobe malfunction” is being covered up. But really the time to object to clothing was BEFORE the picture was taken. If it is okay to wear to class, it should be okay in a yearbook photo. And the idea that some school administrator was looking through the photos pre-publication to find racy ones and modify them is creepy.

But the thing that surprised me is that yearbooks are still a thing. In these days of instagram and social media, the idea of PAYING to memorialize one’s high school experience seems quaint.

7 Likes

I found it interesting the news tweet went through the trouble of pixelating the faces but left full name captions clearly readable in some images. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes