Florida students fought their high school yearbook censorship and won

Originally published at: Florida students fought their high school yearbook censorship and won | Boing Boing

16 Likes

tumblr_ac199d53591b5f00113368ba5b89df57_f0c3dbdb_540

32 Likes

“I want to be clear to each and every student that this was not about the Lyman High School administration looking to try and target any student, to try and silence any voice,” Superintendent Serita Beamon said as she tried to explain her decision.

She must be very confident in the outcomes of Florida schools not teaching critical thinking skills to think that anyone is going to buy that BS.

27 Likes

Kudos to the school board for supporting the students. I’m surprised. How long before DeSantis starts calling them groomers?

22 Likes

Ron DeSantis had this to say, regarding the incident:

14 Likes

Heeyyyy, Florida… that’s not how gay works!

3 Likes

Stickers to cover the entire page had already arrived and would be added before yearbooks are handed out this week, she said. …

When I was a schoolboy shake our heads at stories of teams of Commie censors laboriously paging through books blacking out impure passages. Years later we heard similar things about certain Islamic regimes. What took you so long, Florida? You’re behind the curve.

6 Likes

“Okay, kids, you’ve got to cover up everyone’s entries, apart from Garry’s. Garry was voted “Most Likely To Snitch To DeSantis On An Acquaintance”; well done, Garry.”

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.