School apologizes for promo photo manipulated to darken students' skin for "diversity"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/13/school-apologizes-for-promo-ph.html

2 Likes

Someone is clearly doing their job horribly wrong.

12 Likes

What, they couldn’t Photoshop someone in a wheelchair too?

I like how they told those three guys in the back to turn around so their ugly faces aren’t spoiling the picture.

14 Likes

tiny silver lining that they thought people in the US would care about diversity…?

15 Likes

Amazing passive voice. Photographs don’t doctor themselves (yet). Someone doctored them, who?

11 Likes

Fun! I used to play this game in Highlights magazine.

Can you spot all the differences?

20 Likes

They could have just submitted an entirely different already-diverse photo for cheaper and I bet fewer people would even notice!

1 Like

Tiny sliver of doubt inside the silver: They did it because they’re used to doing it for the American schools.

10 Likes

Looking at the full quote, they kind of hint at it:
«We had sent a certain number of documents to an American communications agency in order to highlight our college,» he said. One of the photographs had been doctored without the school’s knowledge…

Of course, that could also mean «someone at the school decided to doctor a picture before sending it». It’s impressively vague.

Did you do the old “magic eye” trick where you crossed your eyes to merge both sides into one? Then all the differences stand out immediately.

12 Likes

Well, it isn’t all-white either. I counted about 10 asian faces in there. We aren’t white.

9 Likes

Whoa! That never occurred to me. You’re brilliant.

follow-up

HOLY SHIT! IT WORKS!

9 Likes

Ah, I found the original press release: https://www.cohl.fr/mise-au-point-sur-une-image-transformee-sans-lautorisation-de-lecole/ (google translate)

Obviously in french (which I don’t speak too well), but it seems to indicate that it was their communications partner in the US that had done the photoshopping.

2 Likes

Ah yes, apologies. I repeated that error from the original article. Thanks.

7 Likes

Look at the sentence before the one you quoted.

I spotted about three people that weren’t even “race lifted”, as it were, just out-and-out replaced with what look like random Shutterstock models of young-black-person. A couple just look like they had head swaps, the one young woman in the middle left is clearly a lazy cut-and-paste job.

The rest are just bad. I know I’d be pissed if I went looking for myself in a promo photo and discovered that they rendered me in blackface like Al Jolson or something.

9 Likes

The US is bigger than most countries on paying lip service to diversity.

4 Likes

Side note, I immediately IDed the guy front left in blue with his legs stretched out as East Asian, and then realized that I don’t know why I did that. His eyes aren’t clear enough to make out differences there, his skin tone isn’t noticeably different than the white folks behind him. But my brain is still pretty sure he’s Asian.

Ethnicity markers are weird.

3 Likes

This guy is my favorite. Someone said “He already looks kind of black. I’ll just use the pen tool to darken him up a little.”

darker

17 Likes

That is some seriously bad 'shop work; the issues of feigning diversity and latent bigotry aside.

Case in fucking point; that is just horrid digital manipulation.

15 Likes