Florida lawmaker wants to ban kids from talking to a teacher when they get their period

Originally published at: Florida lawmaker wants to ban kids from talking to a teacher when they get their period | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Beyond trying to control all aspects of women’s lives, what do they find problematic about discussing menstruation? That they think it’s icky? Finding something icky does seem to be all a GOP politician needs to want to ban it, after all.

20 Likes

Just surprised they haven’t put out bid requests to build period huts.

Assholes.

21 Likes

I sure hope these sadistic specimens are biting off more than they can chew. Can the kids talk to one another about it? Of course. These people are monsters to even *conceive of such an inhumane idea.

12 Likes

Florida lawmaker wants to ban kids from talking to a teacher when they get their period

Bit like saying “Missouri lawmaker wants to ban teachers from saying that Martha Washington was married to George”, isn’t it?

Obviously this proposed bill is stupid and wrong, but surely this guy wasn’t thinking of what happens when kids get their first period? (Or thinking much at all?)

12 Likes

I’m beginning to suspect that cruelty is always the point.

26 Likes

Have you recovered fully from your years-long coma?

27 Likes

Are you there, God? It’s—
No! Shut your mouth!

13 Likes

I’m curious to know who the fucking idiot thinks is going to enforce the pretend-menstration-doesn’t-exist bullshit law? I guess they could repurpose these Texas morons.

7 Likes

On the one hand I’m reminded of my high school history teacher who, whenever a student complained about having a headache, would say, “Well, I can excuse you to go get some water but I can’t let you have any of the aspirin that’s in the top right hand drawer of my desk which I’m not looking at right now.”

On the other hand it’s already a problem that too many people treat menstruation, which is perfectly natural, as something to be ashamed of and being forced to resort to coded language, or avoiding the topic entirely, would just make that even worse.

24 Likes

Understanding menstruation is a gateway drug to bodily autonomy.

24 Likes

Considering the limitations and restrictions being placed on conversations docs are allowed to have with their patients, I am expecting this sort of topic to become a target for us as well. There are a number of states that have “outlawed” asking about guns in the home during pediatric check-ups, I expect we will be restricted from discussing sexual orientation/presentation/identification any time now. And then normal sexual development as the next target. “Let them learn about it at home, or on the street, like we all did!” I hate this timeline.

21 Likes

And yet they will no doubt be required to turn in complete records of their cycles, accompanied by physical examination by a PE teacher - both to insure there are no trans girls hiding out and to ensure that anyone who misses a period and has another the next month can be executed for having an abortion

12 Likes

So blood is allowed at schools as long as it results from a shooting?

17 Likes

This guy needs his ahem tied in a knot.

3 Likes

Can someone please wake me up from this nightmare? I’m trying but nothing seems to work.

3 Likes

Well, it seems clear that they’re using ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ as a reference book and documentary for their ongoing actions.

4 Likes

I’m confused. How does this affect another proposed Florida law?

You can’t talk to your teachers or your peers about menstruation but you MUST talk to your coach about it. Sounds like Florida Republicans want to have it both ways, always. And to put young women in a double bind to drive them crazy.

6 Likes

I’m not sure about Florida, but everyplace I or my kids have gone to school, the coaches are teachers. Looks like the laws cancel each other out and nobody needs to do anything.

5 Likes

Yep… in the end it doesn’t matter as long as the children live their lives in a haze of fear and distrust unable to get help if they need it… the plan is working as intended.

10 Likes