Florida lawmakers criminalize the production, sale, and distribution of lab-grown meat

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/21/florida-lawmakers-criminalize-the-production-sale-and-distribution-of-lab-grown-meat.html

4 Likes

That’s what he thinks.

ufo-saucer

10 Likes

so this is the freedum they keep harping on about. i’m not down with it.

12 Likes

And yet most people who eat Slim Jims have no clue what they’re eating either but i’m guessing those are still legal in Florida.

18 Likes

I thought SlimJims were from space!

2 Likes

Intergalactic law prevents me from commenting on what happens when a transporter beam malfunctions, but all that meat has to go somewhere, right?

12 Likes

So they are saying there is a fundamental difference between clusters of undifferentiated cells and a living, breathing creature.

Good to remember for the next time Florida Republicans weigh in on abortion.

34 Likes

Have they considered 5th meat?

I wish him bon appetit!

In December 2018, lean finely textured beef was reclassified as “ground beef” by the Food Safety And Inspection Service of the United States Department Of Agriculture.

4 Likes

Oh, they’ll have no problem telling the two apart unless it’s to force a woman to bring five pounds of chuck roast to term.

I wish this was only a joke.

11 Likes

Love how Florida legislators can get this right through, but deal with actual issues like insurance, flooding, disaster relief, etc that their residents need? No time!

13 Likes

What insurance? They all left the state no?

2 Likes

This is exactly the sort of thing a secret space alien would say to blend in.

9 Likes

So ranchers get to join the illustrious company of car dealers in enjoying the unjustifiably lavish support of state-level republicans. Fantastic.

3 Likes

It’s the python lobby isn’t it?

6 Likes

Their beef is with the 20th century, which was already way too progressive for that side of the aisle.

(Edited because commenting and multitasking don’t mix!)

3 Likes

Wow, the meat industry lobby is more powerful than I thought. Florida is only the 12th largest producer of beef, even worse for chicken and fish. I’m guessing ‘conservative values’ aside, said industries are in panic mode, trying to head off a drop in demand that might interfere with profits. The good news is that if they’re spending their resources on blocking sale now, they’ve probably gotten bad news about lab-grown meat, which may eventually translate into lower prices/better ecology/less waste.

2 Likes

This basically, at the root, some anti-environmental act (I mean, it isn’t really, but they perceive meat alternatives as being environmentally friendly, “woke” foodstuffs, so…). The joke’s on them, though - cultivated meat isn’t remotely ready for production, and probably won’t be for the foreseeable future. All these companies announcing deals with fast food companies, etc. are talking about products that are 90+% soy and other plant material, and a few percent cultured meat scrapings, and they’re not even ready to produce that.

Hey, they’re doing their little bit to try to indirectly address climate change. To make it worse, sure, but…

4 Likes

high quality GIF

2 Likes

As always

CRUELTY IS THE POINT

4 Likes