Florida man arrested for snipping the brakes on electric scooters

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/04/florida-man-arrested-for-snipp.html

1 Like

This is why we can’t have dumb things.

23 Likes

I was with him on the stickers. Then he went full willfully-endangering-others.

26 Likes

Fort Lauderdale is the Venice of America? Anticipating global warming?

So this guy decides to put others’ lives in danger because he doesn’t like rental scooters? Gotcha!

4 Likes

Was he using these? Maybe somebody could ask him for a review/endorsement:

15 Likes

“How to commit manslaughter with this one weird trick.”

5 Likes

Least funny “Florida Man” headline ever.

4 Likes

I suppose it is easier than cutting the heads off of parking meters.

7 Likes

I wonder how this dude would feel if I decided that I hate SUVs so I started cutting their brakes.

As a bike commuter, I do hate single-rider SUVs who commute 30 miles. Especially ones who honk at me on single-lane roads and try to get as close as possible without hitting me because they had to slow down to pass me.

And I would never even think to cut their brakes but then again, I’m not an ass. Mostly.

7 Likes

But don’t the stickers prevent people from riding them? (Assuming that they are not easily removable…)

4 Likes

Good thing someone had one of those Ring door cameras, eh?

4 Likes

Yes, preventing people from riding them is fine to me. The less money going to the companies that put these things out on the street with no regard for law or man, the better. I have a hard time thinking of a case where somebody would be endangered by a scooter not working when they want it to.

Brakes, OTOH, are generally something that’s isn’t inspected too closely before people pay for it and pin the throttle.

3 Likes

All he has to do is say he felt threatened by the scooters, invoke the “Stand your ground” laws of Florida and claim he thought the brake line was the jugular vein.

1 Like

suitable punishment? court order no driving, only e-scooters for a year, and see how mr wire cutters likes the culture on the road.

2 Likes

Much like the rental scooters themselves.

1 Like

Rental scooters are dangerous to others—hey let’s solve this by makin’ ‘em more so…

2 Likes

So what happens if you edit the QR code with a sharpie?

4 Likes

floridabb

6 Likes

Re: Snipped brake cables

You don’t attain the status of Florida Man without doing Florida Man things.

10 Likes