Florida man arrested for zapping Scientology cameras with laser pointer during "Cult City Tour"

Okay, but where’s Shelly?

1 Like

“It was not me, my body thetan made me do it!”

2 Likes

If he gets fined, I expect there will be a very successful Go Fund Me shortly thereafter.

Oh no, you mentioned the TCMs, last guy who did that went to jail

Pointing jitter of the laser won’t change where the laser is in the image, and hence won’t change which spot on the sensor is getting hammered. It’s the lens forming the laser light into an image that makes the laser so dangerous, at a distance a laser does diverge a bit and probably would not harm the sensor if it weren’t for the lens in front.

Florida hero arrested for zapping Scientology cameras with laser pointer during “Cult City Tour”

Fixed your headline for you.

2 Likes

Excellent point, my error. Direction of pointing won’t affect which pixel is affected although strength of burn on that pixel will depend on where it’s directed. Moving the pointer, rather than changing its angle, will change which pixels are affected though, and I would expect that it would still take a very steady hand to nail a single pixel in an HD or even SD camera array. Thanks for letting me think this through farther.

On the one hand, this is totally vandalism if he’s actually damaging the cameras, which it’s totally normal and not even inherently sinister for them to have on their own buildings.

On the other hand, I don’t care, fuck Scientology, and I hope he keeps doing it.

3 Likes

it’s surprising if the damage was to individual pixels

I believe them: Scientologists can tell laser damage from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few video camera shots in their time.

2 Likes

This is Scientology. Any evidence that he actually damaged their security cameras should be reviewed carefully.

Harris said police showed him surveillance images provided by Scientology officials that were peppered with black dots, allegedly a result of burn damage to the camera lenses from the laser. They also provided images of Harris pointing the laser at the cameras.

That sounds like they provided police with a set of stills, which proves little. Let’s see continuous video a minute before to a minute after the alleged damage.

2 Likes

I think we all are.

4 Likes

Oh, I dunno. Personally, I’m just waiting for someone to remake The Phantom Menace as the courtroom drama it should have been.

Hours of trade court dispute hearings, tense mediation meetings and jammed laser photocopiers.

Followed by the sequels dealing with the tense fight over billable hours accrued by the respective legal teams and whether the cost of the Federation legal teams’ 14 day stay on Eroticon VI ostensibly to discuss “trial strategy” was reasonably and necessarily incurred.

9 Likes

Nah, boss. Whoever wins, we all lose.

Yeah, I’ve got one of those, and I’m very, very careful how I use it! Certainly not for winding up kitty cats, that’s for sure.
Now CCTV cameras…

Yup, one of the points of the tour was to try and spot all the security cameras. I used the laser tointer to point.

2 Likes

Thank you…

“In the Galaxy Far Far Away justice system, the Force is represented by two separate yet equally important groups. The Jedi who investigate crimes and the Dark Side who fuck shit up. These are their stories.” (Dun Dun)

6 Likes

I didn’t realize the laser would damage the cameras. I was pointing out all the cameras I could find. Lucky I didn’t damage more. I wont do it again.

1 Like

Why did they ask you to find all the security cameras as part of the tour?

To add a bit of fun and levity to the tour. It was like an Easteregg hunt. Cameras covertly hidden all over.

1 Like