Florida man in seaborne human hamster wheel arrested while trying to walk to London

Originally published at: Florida man in seaborne human hamster wheel arrested while trying to walk to London | Boing Boing

7 Likes

He sounded kind of familiar.

Somehow I doubt he’ll pay attention to any court order not to do this again.

8 Likes

He should really get in touch with the sea-steading folks. Sounds like he’d fit right in.

9 Likes

Seems to me like this guy really wants to walk across the ocean.

11 Likes

He then led USCG officers on a multi-day chase

That had to be the most boring chase scene ever.

9 Likes

Just wanted to know “So what are the charges occifer!?”; figuring it’d be something like “Operating a hazard to navigation”, and instead (following the helpful link to legal papers):

August 29, 2023 , upon the high seas outside the jurisdiction any particular state or district, in international waters, while on board a vessel subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, the defendant(s) violated:

Code-Section Offense Description
18 U.S.C. §2237(a)(2)(A) Obstruction of a Boarding
46 U.S.C. §70036(b)(1) Violation of a Captain of the Port Order

placing aside the “in international waters” (wherein one foolishly presumed ‘no holds barred’ presided), “Obstruction of a Boarding”? So any ‘vessel’ which doesn’t have a velvet cordon gangplank better be at notice? hmm. As to “Violation of a Captain of the Port Order”, beats me what spectrum of possibilities abound there (for IANAML (‘M’ for Maritime)) (“I didn’t violate no Captain!”) (nuts, now i have “Major-General’s Song” looping in my head)

6 Likes

That sounds like a really bad idea.

4 Likes

From Cornell, a Captain of the Port:

Captain of the Port as used in this part, means the officer of the Coast Guard, under the command of a District Commander, so designated by the Commandant for the purpose of giving immediate direction to Coast Guard law enforcement activities within his or her assigned area.

and then a COTP Order:

§ 160.111 Special orders applying to vessel operations.
Each District Commander or Captain of the Port may order a vessel to operate or anchor in the manner directed when:

(a) The District Commander or Captain of the Port has reasonable cause to believe that the vessel is not in compliance with any regulation, law or treaty;

(b) The District Commander or Captain of the Port determines that the vessel does not satisfy the conditions for vessel operation and cargo transfers specified in § 160.113; or

(c) The District Commander or Captain of the Port has determined that such order is justified in the interest of safety by reason of weather, visibility, sea conditions, temporary port congestion, other temporary hazardous circumstances, or the condition of the vessel.

So basically a cop told him to do something, and he didn’t comply.

5 Likes

Wow, § 160.111 sure seems to give wide latitude to the USCG to do what they want.

I used to think, back in the Reagan years, that the USCG would be the one branch that I’d elect to serve in if I ever had that crazy notion. Then I saw stamps on one of their planes with cannabis leaves all in a row, the kind that WW2 planes would have indicating how many enemy planes shot down. I realized that they were the ‘boots on the deck’ enforcing a bunch of policies I don’t entirely agree with. So I said fck them, they’re not much more than cops on the high seas.

6 Likes

and if that’s all this gentleman wants to do - “cross the Atlantic on foot” - perhaps a 90 mile stroll from Miami to Bimini?
yes, i realize that is not crossing the entire Atlantic Ocean, but one would have to “walk” across the gulf stream and major shipping lanes. so a practice run, if you will.

4 Likes

It was Admiralty Law, and he’s a Freeman on the Sea? :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Next time launch from a rural location or out in international waters.

Bring an inflatable lifeboat!

3 Likes

Maybe he’s an Admiralty Law Sheriff.

3 Likes

Considering other people have legally swum, rowed, used primitive rafts and boats made of reed bundles, been pulled by kites and windsurfed across, and even driven an amphibious Jeep across the Atlantic, I’m thinking that perhaps he just needs to hire a lawyer to keep what he’s doing on the legal side of maritime law. That mostly just means some navigation lights, keeping out of the shipping lanes, and, if unpowered, possibly a safety vehicle shadowing him.

Oh, and if any coast guard wants to inspect you in their territorial waters, you stop and let them on board, don’t threaten them or declare you have a bomb(!) on board. They might have let him go on if he had navigation lights, a certified life preserver, emergency flares, and the other required safety gear, and almost certainly would have if he’d had a suitable safety vehicle following him around. You know, something to get him to safety if a hurricane suddenly showed up, or he started to sink in the mid-Atlantic, or he ran out of food and/or water partway across.

8 Likes

He should start with a lake. Here’s an interesting firsthand account from a guy who walked across a frozen Lake Erie and made it from Ohio to Canada.

7 Likes

“Stop resisting!” Like that?

4 Likes

This was probably referenced in one of the other threads about this guy, but still obligatory:
ac764fe2-7777-4650-b62b-2ff5a14c120e_text

4 Likes

If he’s ever incarcerated, he will insist on having access to a sand bath.

3 Likes

Only counts if you’re wearing a tux…

4 Likes

I like the cut of this man’s jib.

Sets a course and steadfastly pursues it, undeterred by any challenge.

2 Likes