Florida man who won $1 million lottery plans on "upgrading to an electric toothbrush"

Originally published at: Florida man who won $1 million lottery plans on "upgrading to an electric toothbrush" | Boing Boing

14 Likes

Whoa, slow down there Bud .

20 Likes

23 Likes

I get the good feeling that he won’t be one of the lottery winners who blows it all within three years, as is often the case. Enjoy your toothbrush and flip-flops, sir!

32 Likes

A man with a plan, OK & go get’em tiger.

18 Likes

Very sensible.

My advice is for EVERYONE to get a good electric toothbrush, and either floss or a water pik. Trust me, it is worth the investment.

10 Likes

Approves:

17 Likes

Modest. Practical.

I suspect he just said he was from Florida to throw the spongers off the track.

15 Likes

After taxes, and that toothbrush, and 30 years of brush heads, about $598,000 left.

Subtract another $98,000 in splurges, that’s a half a million. If you use that for retirement, and apply the 4% rule, that’s $20,000 in sustainable income for life. Not too shabby.

10 Likes

A REAL “Florida Man” would have already spent the money on . . . $1million worth of more scratch tickets.

11 Likes

Unfortunately, between state and federal taxes, you generally have to reduce the winnings by 50% to get an accurate measure of how much you end up with.
So he’s starting closer to $500K, still not too shabby.

8 Likes

Florida doesn’t have an income tax, so he’s got that going for him which is nice. On the other hand, he’s in Florida.

10 Likes

Ah, right, I forgot.
Federal tax rate on the winnings will be about 37%, I think.

7 Likes

As long as he doesn’t buy a real green dress. That’d be cruel.

7 Likes

Some lottery tickets actually have a positive expected value. Buying an individual ticket is still a poor choice, of course, but buying a significant enough number could be rational!

3 Likes

Plus, you get to scratch them all!

3 Likes

Finally someone who deserves his winnings.

2 Likes

Good luck getting that electric toothbrush now, bubby; when the guv’mnt be takin’ half yous money!

Way to go, Brian! Dream big, buddy. Dream big.

Is there such a thing? Maybe some that don’t make that annoying sound.

5 Likes