Florida management company bans tenants from using storm shutters as Hurricane Irma approaches

5 Likes

I thought that in Florida, substandard construction was standard. By law or something…

2 Likes

The reasoning that you want to force the current residents out and replace them with higher paying residents only works if you are certain there will be a big demand for those apartments after the hurricane.

Erm… The Two Jakes or something? Not googling up but I didn’t put Kekua first…

3 Likes

■■■■■ apartments, mmm. Barf twice if you need the Mayor to come on back and explain that the rules are out until the shutters are on, -and- hurricane X surge past.

1 Like

Mine too.

No dear Flossy; that’s from the Usual Suspects… mostly.

3 Likes

Careful engaging Flossy, he’ll flip ya.

2 Likes

Since this is Florida, I suspect that there aren’t any rent-control laws that would make that useful.

1 Like

It’s a rare honor when Flossy engages you; I’ll take it.

6 Likes

Stevoni! My kid approves.

And I was making a reference Benicio Del Toro’s charcter :wink:

Also, Benicio has the coolest name ever. I love just saying his name dramatically. Benicio DEL TOro! BenIcio del TORO!

His full name is Benicio Monserrate Rafael del Toro Sánchez.

2 Likes

Worse yet, what if they painted them an unapproved color?

The horror!

It’s been too long since I last watched that film; time for a fresh viewing.

2 Likes

Well to be fair, it’s funny what lines stick in a persons’ mind from a film. Ones favorite lines may be forgettable to many.

Yes, it’s a good one to view every once in awhile. I love many of the crime Noir films of the 90s, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, LA Confidential, Usual Suspects, Things to Do in Denver When You’re Dead, Boondock Saints, etc.

2 Likes

All movies that I thoroughly enjoyed.

But no True Romance?

4 Likes

In France (a Civil Law system), it’s called the exception of necessity. I would assume something similar exists in the USA.

1 Like

All the good lines from his character in Usual Suspects can be credited to Benicio del Toro himself. The character as written was rather bland, he ad libbed a lot of mannerisms that fleshed him up.

making assumptions about how civil Florida is won’t pay off in the long run.

1 Like

I’m just vowing not to live anywhere there are people, because people are the friggin problem.

1 Like

Your thought there implies common sense; there is no such thing in real estate - doubly so for coastal real estate. As long as there’s a decent beachfront there will be people willing to pay through the nose for that kind of property. It is, in fact, a sucker bet. When I was living in the Florida panhandle for a few years back in the late 90s, State Farm literally stopped selling flood insurance in the state. Because flood insurance - NOT “hurricane” insurance - is what has to pay out for damage from the storm surge that comes with a hurricane, and that wasn’t making them enough profit anymore. But people still buy property and houses in the path of hurricanes and just rebuilding or leaving it to others when it gets wrecked.

There really is No Exit.

2 Likes