Florida police officer: "Planting evidence and lying in your reports are just part of the game"

This sucks. I don’t know how else to say it. In my state, (which has progressive drug laws), possession of a nominal amount of cocaine or heroin (even residue), is a class C felony. So it must be much worse in Florida, where I’m sure it is also at least a class C felony.

This thug is handing out life sentences to “mouthy drivers, street lawyers, assholes and just anyone else trying to make his job difficult”, and then bragging about it. A felony charge in America today means doing the following for the rest of your life (unless you are one of the few lucky enough to afford expungement after at least seven years): begging for substandard jobs and having to supplicate yourself and beg for forgiveness at every job interview, having to settle for, and even beg for substandard housing rental if you can’t afford to own, being outright barred from a substantial percentage of employment, being viewed with suspicion by law enforcement in every future run in, being barred from student financial aid because it’s a drug felony, and loss of firearm ownership. All because this officer developed a personal vendetta within a few minutes of meeting an individual.

Police thugs doing this are in the same category as the worst type of sociopath predator, and should be dealt with accordingly.

Edit: Even if the source of this report is of questionable merit, even if the individual whose behavior we are discussing turns out to be a fraud, the behavior being reported is well documented and widespread in certain police departments. Even if this individual report turns out to be fraudulent, the discussion generated from it is still valid in my opinion. I live in a very progressive city, and we have had at least two officers in the last decade caught using planted evidence to coerce women into sexual relationships (including coercion of their significant others into silence after they discovered the rape and abuse). I say ‘at least’ because there have been other reports, and getting the ‘Bro Co.’ to investigate itself is a laughable proposition. It took years of reports and extremely sloppy criminality by the two officers before anyone would even raise an eyebrow. The officers’ behavior was well known within the department, including by the chief of police, and still continued with several women for several years before being disciplined.

I’m sure that within police departments this is their favorite little ‘trick’, as ultimately, planted evidence, especially done expertly, is virtually impossible to defend against in a court of law, as it boils down to your word against the cops, and good luck with that.

3 Likes

Become a police officer.

Seriously.

As many an experiment has confirmed, there is a natural tendency for those afforded authority to abuse it. Thus it is up to the people who dislike the exercise of authority and are thus the most naturally resistant to abusing it to make the sacrifice and take up this mantle.

Of course, we want a solution, but we expect other people to make the sacrifice to provide it.

3 Likes

You’ll want to read Hominids, by Robert J. Sawyer. Fantastic novel in its own right, but also has a system in place that is very much like what you’re describing.

1. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

Have a nice eternity in hell Deputy.

Oh yeah, and one other:
Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will
he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh
reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit
reap eternal life.

1 Like

Sorry, but this is real life for people and not a novel that ends when the book is closed.

…yes, thank you. I realize this. I was referring to this:

…which is something that is in the sci-fi novel I referenced. I thought it was a book he might enjoy reading.

But way to ignore context and knee-jerk yourself into looking like a twit.

3 Likes

Yes, yes, next to the non-virgin brides, people who covet their neighbor’s ass, those who make graven images, those who wear clothes of mixed fibers…

If this deputy is for real, I still wouldn’t want him in Hell, being tortured for eternity. Infinite torture for finite crimes is immoral.

The bible is not a reliable source of morality.

But I would like to see all such cops go to jail. And if what the story claims is true, that residue gets charged as drugs (ala Dubai) then that is also total BS and that law needs to be rescinded immediately.

5 Likes

LoL, this is yet another report from another crooked cop that yet again completely destroys the myth of the “few bad apples”

Because when the bad apples are the ones raping, all the apples are bad in the way that the deputy describes as normal.

See, this is why ppl who bring that stupid bad apple argument around get shouted down. Tha barrel be spoilt muthafucka

1 Like

That’s the thing people seem to miss about the “bad apple” metaphor: The saying is not “There’s only a few bad apples in here, not that big of a deal, the rest of them are fine,” it’s “a few bad apples spoil the whole bushel.”

9 Likes

Take to the streets.

Make this an election issue for the city officials that fund and oversee the police department. Advocate for the financial savings that would come from having an independent police oversight committee that had more power than internal affairs, so that the taxpayers won’t have to waste their money on the settlements and other hush costs of corruption.

I have no doubt this guy is a real cop. He’s just the right level of intelligence, enough not to be a major embarrassment, but not enough to realize how easy all those comments will make it for him to get tracked down and fired or worse.

I spent a long time listening to court proceedings in San Francisco, and the routine for any drug cases involved having the judge ask the cops “In your professional opinion was this a useful amount of the drug?” and them to answer “Yes”. Florida needs to get on this.

More like, as Zimbardo says, a bad barrel. The infrastructure that allows this has to change.

2 Likes

“. . . just part of the game.”

Game?

I think this is part and parcel of stuff we are seeing all over-- cops pepper spraying randomly, tasering at the drop of a hat, shooting unarmed people, etc.; they don’t seem to understand what their actual duty is, it’s become an “us-vs.-them” situation, with “them” being anyone not in blue.

I think it’s time we start brainstorming policies that will bring police forces back in line with their real duty-- protecting and serving the public. It might feel good on a gut level to say “fuck the police!”, but if you are robbed or assaulted or raped, who you gonna call, Ghostbusters?

4 Likes

If your intent is to deprive them of their lives, life without parole can be pretty effective. Killing them removes their existential quantifier, thus negating any possibility of them experiencing a loss of their life. Therefore, execution cannot be considered punishment, but merely destruction of the person.

1 Like

Mod note: Stay on topic

Florida (Police) Man, eh?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.