Florida police officer: "Planting evidence and lying in your reports are just part of the game"

It’s telling that he calls it a “game”. Call me crazy but I don’t think someone who thinks of their job as a game should be invested with any kind of responsibility over peoples’ lives.

6 Likes

or someone’s job.

Of course, we have our own set of problems in Seattle… The DOJ doesn’t just throw a dart at the board to pick a police department to focus on. Or do they?

Wow, and I thought Broward had it bad with nine years of Ken Jenne and a steady stream of convictions like Tauber, Benjamin & Poole, and Wimberley.

Palm Beach and Broward make Dade county look upstanding by comparison.

If you live in a state with ballot initiatives, that might work. If you don’t you could work towards getting ballot initiatives. Like with dug laws and other unutterably corrupt practices, there’s no way major party politicians are ever going to do anything about it.

As a LEO (profession, not star sign) let me say that this jagoff has no business being a cop, and should be in jail. This type of “policing” is fortunately becoming less common (not quickly enough, but progress is good). I’ve had officers ask me “how do I write this up?,” some honestly asking about what needs to go in a report, others might have been flirting with lying. My response is that if its a minor case (dope, etc) then its not worth lying about, and if its a major case (murder, rape) then its too important to lie about. And, also, we’re just not supposed to lie on reports, it’s wrong, not to mention illegal. On the other hand we can tell all sorts of fables to bad guys within certain boundaries, especially if it means they let me put handcuffs on them without fighting, a well spun lie beats a taser in my book.

8 Likes

Hmm. I would have thought that all cases would be too important to lie about.
So there’s theoretically a point that a case is worth lying about and unimportant enough to do so?

3 Likes

No, a case is never worth lying about. Thus my comment about it being wrong and illegal. The not important enough/too important thing was just a practical way to explain why what they might be contemplating was just plain dumb, and wrong.

7 Likes

Maybe saying all cases fall into one of two categories might be better, if I get that vibe again thats how I’ll phrase it… Thanks

5 Likes

Just seemed like an odd way of explaining it, that’s all. Slightly ambiguous. Not saying that you are, just the phrasing could be seen as that.

Yeah, that’d work better. Can’t go wrong with nice, clear absolutes when it comes to teaching important stuff like that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When I was 13, a friend and I walked into a burglary at the friend’s house. We’d been gone for about 20 minutes, and came back because we forgot something. The guy managed to get out the back door as we were opening the front door, so we didn’t notice what was going on, until I turned around to close the front door and saw the guy running down the driveway with the playstation we came back for.

I had to fill out a witness report, as did my friend. His was 3 sentences. I wrote six pages. The guy was caught by an off duty detective who was in the area.

It was a time before I realized that writing six pages of detail would just have my testimony thrown out.

1 Like

Just chiming in with a somewhat skeptical take here… The source of this story is the “DC Post”, not the Washington Post, and the site’s content appears to be a mix of “here’s something terrible that happened in America”, “here’s some random positive news about Russia”, and “here’s something about how Ukraine is at fault in the ongoing conflict there.”

As far as I can tell, all the stories on the site are written by Jeffrey Schultz, John Thompson, or “Admin”, and there is zero biographical info about either person/name.

I don’t know what exactly is going on here, but I think it’s pretty clear that DC Post is not “Washington’s most trusted government news source”

Also, the same reporter supposedly broke this Florida police story on the same day he wrote a story about how Moody’s is being mean to Russia by downgrading its credit rating?
http://dcpost.org/russias-downgrade-by-moodys-exorbitantly-negative-politically-motivated-finance-minister/

9 Likes

I’m imagining a time when everyone who wants to can walk around with an implanted or surreptitious memory module (perhaps a brain implant, maybe a contact lens) that records everything you experience. I think that might be a big help when it comes to cases of abuse. Gets rid of the gray areas, and allows the objective nature of the situation come forth.

I think it could also be really helpful for curbing a lot of negative social behaviors if it’s wide spread enough. When it’s reasonable to assume that if someone sees you it’s being recorded in 4K with audio at the same resolution and stereo image of human hearing, and going into the personal archive, people will think twice about making threats and such. We could always pipe that footage into the facebook machine and figure out who they are.

Of course it would probably make blackmail way easier too. But with phones already so convenient and ubiquitous, it’s probably at the maximum already.

I’m thinking of it like a dashcam at the autobiographical scale.

1 Like

Just another note on the questionable provenance of dcpost.org… The site’s news archives are somewhat bizarre, for instance: http://dcpost.org/2014/01/

Lorem ipsum placeholder text and random musings about ballet?

4 Likes

Attend to your Self. Be the change you want to see.
Seriously, it will make you feel loads better; and nothing else will make such a difference… in the end.

1 Like

Haven’t started watching Black Mirror yet, eh?

5 Likes

No, but I did watch Ghost in the Shell. And the type of system I described is used as evidence in depositions. Of course, it’s also subject to fabrication, whether by the owner, or by an external hacker braindiving them and doing all kinds of things to the person’s memories. From making themselves invisible to the owner’s visual system, to completely erasing the owner’s past life, and pasting over a totally new history in order to manipulate them.

ETA: in fact, come to think of it, in GITS, the useful aspects of transferable, accurate memories of sensoria were rarely played up. Most often it was people connecting to each other in real-time, or the issues of past memories stored in cyberbrains being just as fallible and open to manipulation as normal unaugmented brains. Also how pernicious memes designed to take advantage of brain-to-brain communication can be a cognitive contagion, and even be written as a software virus to get masses of people to hold specific ideologies and commit specific acts.

And as a US citizen let me say, you could spend your whole life here and never need to go to Florida.

6 Likes

They don’t throw a dart. All they need to do is swing a dead cat.

2 Likes

I hadn’t heard of “Washington’s most trusted government news source” before. Google barely has. https://www.google.com/search?q=“the+dc+post” Just sayin’.

4 Likes